Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2013 06:00

TF/CLONE with NoCopy option - Unable to view data on target volume after update on source volume

While running TF/CLONE  with NOCOPY option, Data on Source Volume is not being copied/visible on Target Volume whenever there is a change in data on Source Volume.  Seems I had configured all the required as per the documentation of TF/CLONE.

Appreciate any help

1. Created a clone session ( one source, one target ) with NOCOPY option
  2. Activated the clone Session
  3. Did a rescan of devices from Disk Management and then viewed the target volume by mounting on a drive
  4. Observed/Found that the files are copied from source to target
  5. Updated some of the (text) files on the Source.
  6. Did several times, rescan/refresh/offline then online disks from Disk Management

On target drive/volume, I didn’t observed those updates of text file(s) automatically ( without again performing symclone establish / recreate-activate

I had verified the same on Linux Host as well.  On Linux host after adding  and modifying existing data on source volume, I did ran a 'sync' command , did a unmount/mount. All I see is only the files that were copied initially as part of step 4.

Following flag was set:

SYMAPI_CLONE_COPY_ON_WRITE = ENABLE  ( restarted all services using stordaemon  CLI )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#symclone -g srini_clonedg_276 query

Device Group (DG) Name: srini_clonedg_276

DG's Type             : REGULAR

Source Device                   Target Device            State     Copy

--------------------------------- ---------------------------- ------------ ----

Protected Modified                Modified

Logical   Sym  Tracks    Tracks   Logical   Sym  Tracks   CGDP SRC <=> TGT  (%)

--------------------------------- ---------------------------- ------------ ----

DEV001    1956     15636        0 TGT001    1957        0 .X.. CopyOnWrite   52

Total           -------- --------                --------

Track(s)         15636        0                       0

MB(s)            977.2      0.0                     0.0

# symcfg -version

Symmetrix CLI (SYMCLI) Version       : V7.5.0.0 (Edit Level: 1604)

Built with SYMAPI Version            : V7.5.0.0 (Edit Level: 1604)

SYMAPI Run Time Version              : V7.5.1.0 (Edit Level: 1655)

SYMAPI Server Version                : unavailable

465 Posts

June 18th, 2013 00:00

You can use no copy when there is no advantage to having the source data physically copied to the target data.

Take a scenario where you have a 10TB database. Each day the DB is cloned and mounted to a reporting server. So the clone is never needed for recovery, just reporting. With the nocopy, the 10TB is not physically being moved at the back-end every day (except to copy the pre-updated version of the source device tracks/extents when an update is made) saving lots of array resources.

You are correct in your last sentence, whenever you want the target updated to reflect the current state of the source, a new activate is required. The target device will ALWAYS represent the sate of the source at the time of activate. It is the activate the provides the point-in-time.

June 17th, 2013 08:00

Ok..Then what would be the difference between TF/CLONE created with NOCOPY and COPY options.

I was able to verify with a clone target created using COPY option. ( had to activate/establish for every refresh to target volume )

I was trying to understand the NOCOPY option when only the new writes/update of existing data would be copied to target volume after we establish the clone session...

Am I missing some thing here !??

Thank you. I see the point that it NOCOPY is something similar to COW snapshots ( TF/SNAP or TF/VPSNAP )

But in my case, when I use clone with NOCOPY, how do I make sure the target devices have the new writes that is different from when I'm using COPY option....or is it that we should  limit the use of CLONE for COPY and for actual NOCOPY benefit we should go with either TF/SNAP or TF/VPSNAP ??

2.2K Posts

The benefits of a nocopy clone are similar to a snap in that you do not require the full capacity of the source volume to be provisioned or synchronized to the target volume. Obviously these benefits are only fully realized when using virtual provisioning, and in my opinion you will see more benefits of using VP Snaps (a newer version of the nocopy clone).

2.2K Posts

The create action of TimeFinder Clone creates the point in time on the target volume. If the source volume is updated and you want the target to reflect a later point in time of the source volume you will have to perform a recreate/activate again. Just like any clone/snap of a source, the target is a static point in time.

1.3K Posts

June 17th, 2013 09:00

Any clone target that is activated will copy the writes to the source device to the target device.  If we didn't it wouldn't be a point in time copy.

2.2K Posts

June 17th, 2013 11:00

Regardless of the copy method (-copy or -nocopy) a clone is a single point in time. If you want the target to capture new writes to the source you have to issue recreate/activate. This is the same whether the clone was created with -copy or -nocopy.

Whether you want the target device to be a full clone copy or behave like a snap will depend on your requirements.

June 18th, 2013 00:00

Little bit confused now..

if we have to issue establish/activate regardless of copy method ( -copy or -nocopy) .. what is the typical use case of -nocopy 

Even with -copy ( and differential flag set), we have to establish/activate to have the new writes on source copy to target.

June 18th, 2013 01:00

Thank you.. I think I'm understanding now..:-) ... In this case how is Clone with -NOCOPY different than TF/SNAP !?

Is this just a COW implementation in CLONE !??

465 Posts

June 18th, 2013 01:00

Indeed they are quite similar. There are subtle differences. SAVE devices are required to use SNAP for example. If you have a thin environment, clone would likely be the first choice.

June 18th, 2013 02:00

Thanks Jasonc. One more query..How would I know/establish ( any SYMCLI command !? )  that NOCOPY is indeed not copying the actual data but merely pointers and whenever there is a write it actually writes to a target thin pool device(s)..

How should I interpret the following three results ! What does the Copy% indicates !?

Result:1

# symclone -g srini_clonedg_276 query

DG's Symmetrix ID     : 000492600276

DEV001    1956     32448        0 TGT001    1957        0 .X.. CopyOnWrite    0

Track(s)         32448        0                       0

MB(s)           2028.0      0.0                     0.0

Result:2

#symclone -g srini_clonedg_276 query

DEV001    1956     18512        0 TGT001    1957        0 .X.. CopyOnWrite   43

Track(s)         18512        0                       0

MB(s)           1157.0      0.0                     0.0

Result:3

symclone query -g srini_clonedg_276

DEV001    1956         0        0 TGT001    1957        0 XXX. Copied       100

Track(s)             0        0                       0

MB(s)              0.0      0.0                     0.0

465 Posts

A symclone query would show a status of  'CopyOnWrite'.

465 Posts

June 18th, 2013 03:00

These 3 queries are not from the same clone session. The Flag settings on the last one indicate this is not a CopyOnWrite clone. The copy % just represents the percentage of source device tracks that have been copied to the target, either by the clone performing a copy operation or by updates to the source in a CopyOnWrite clone.

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

June 19th, 2013 09:00

A couple things to note.

The copy % reports on tracks that have had protection cleared.  When nocopy sessions are activated, protection will be cleared for tracks on thin source extents that are unallocated.  So it may appear that a copy is taking place when all that is happening is protection is being cleared.  We get questions about this in VP Snap where it looks like copy is taking place when no source updates have been made.

VP Snap behaves in Copy_on_write mode and also provides the ability to do recreates and restores, which a Clone -nocopy session cannot do.  So VP Snap may be a better option.  It also uses Thin devices and does not require VDEV/SAVE devs.

No Events found!