Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 23rd, 2013 01:00

TF Snap replication support for thin LUNs

I have couple of questions on TF Snap support for thin luns on VMAXe [VMAX10K] and VMAX

1. Do we have Vdevs on VMAX10K?
  2. For VMAX10K arrays, do we support TF Snap technology for thin source devices irrespective of Microcode version. That would mean that Vdevs could be used as target replica devices. I know it is not supported beginning 5876 microcode version but just wanted to make sure it is not supported for prior Microcode versions as well.

3.  For VMAX arrays, do we support TF Snap technology for thin source devices irrespective of Microcode version. That would mean                 that Vdevs could be used as target replica devices.

Since TF Clone VP Snap technology has come into picture since 5876 microcode version, we don't provide support for TF Snap for Thin Src on VMAX10K from 5876 onwards. Is this true for both VMAX and VMAX10K and whether the same applies to earlier Microcode versions?

Thanks.

465 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 17:00

Yes, thin devices can be the source of a TF (vdev) snap and also the target of a snap restore. The only restriction is that a restore must be to the same type as the source. i.e. both must be either thick or thin.

98 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 12:00

TimeFinder/Snap (utilizing VDEVs) is not supported on the VMAX 10K, regardless of Enginuity version. You need to use VP Snap on the 10K in order to gain TF/Snap-like functionality.

On the 20K and 40K, both TimeFinder/Snap and VP Snap are supported.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 17:00

Is TF/Snap supported for thin luns on On the 20K and 40K?

No Events found!