Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2013 22:00

Unisphere slow

We currently use Unisphere in our environment for managing VMAXs. I find Unisphere to be very slow and prefer to use SYMCLI for provisioning tasks. I just wanted to get some feedback from other people that currently use Unisphere in their environment. Do you find Unisphere to be a very slow tool?

Thanks in advance!

2 Intern

• 

2.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 02:00

Have you met the minimum hardware requirement for installing Unisphere for VMAX? Is you Unisphere for VMAX server running additional application may consume hardware resource? Generally, the GUI won't faster than CLI. But at least you feel it's slow but better to describe how show it is. For example how long will it complete single click or configuration task?

BTW,  https://support.emc.com/docu47001_Unisphere-for-VMAX-1.6-Installation-Guide. P21 provide the hardware requirement for Unisphere for VMAX installation.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 07:00

if you are referring to UI navigation, there is an option to in the right hand corner to "optimize for remote connection" or something of that nature. Very helpful when you connect via RDP, it stop doing all the fancy transitions when you go from screen to screen.

97 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 21:00

It would be helpful if you provide your network architecture. so that it can be easily identify the issue

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hello,

we have the same problem. After a new installation of Unisphere it works with good performance but after 3 or 4 weeks it will get very slow. Only a new installation of Unisphere solve this problem for some time.

53 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hello,

The performance of Unisphere for VMAX largely depends on the host configuration (available physical RAM and disk space) and GK devices. Also on the number of concurrent users using Unisphere for VMAX. Kindly check the release notes and install guide of corresponding UNIVMAX versions to check if these are met. If you continue to face the issue past all this, i would suggest to open a support ticket.

Regards,

Roshan Raju.

25 Posts

September 11th, 2013 12:00

We have Unisphere currently deployed on a virtual machine which has the recommended amount of RAM.

15 Posts

February 14th, 2016 21:00

Hi Amalgion,

could you please let me know what is the procedure of re-install Unisphere. i am using VNXe, accessing through Unisphere. it is working very slow, after enter the user credentials it is taking 3-4 mins to open the complete console.

i have restarted the unisphere as well. even though it is working like the same.

i just spoke with the EMC support, they adviced that to upgrade the OE code. does it really helful? my unisphere will work fast after upgrading the OE?

what is the link between OE and Unisphere?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Reddy

+91-9999714397

January 3rd, 2017 02:00

hello,

i`ve just upgraded to latest version of Unisphere for VMAX 8.3.0.1 virtual appliance hoping to get a Faster GUI but unfortunately still awful ....

strange that only few are complaining and such subject is not getting a high attention

i would really appreciate it if anyone can share any workaround found.

warm regards,

vRamzy

January 3rd, 2017 07:00

Hi vRamzy, if the performance is still slow please check the RAM/Space recommendations are met as this can often to lead to performance type issues. If they are fine then please open a support case and the team can help you to collect logs and isolate the potential cause.

January 4th, 2017 01:00

Hello Fin,

RAM , Space and CPU are not being utilized... I believe the slowness is mainly being caused by the Flash!.

I do manage multiple storage system and the funny part that the VMAX which the most expensive one have such a bad management console.

regards,

January 5th, 2017 04:00

Hi vRamsy

sorry to hear that, there are certain limitations in place for the number of devices and arrays you can manage, please see the server requirements section of the Install guide.

the quickest way to resolve this would be to open a support call and they can review the logs to see where the problem lies.

Regards

Finbarr.

January 8th, 2017 02:00

Hello Fin,

First i do appreciate your response to help....

but to make things more clear... the support wont be able to help here, as this is how the Unisphere for VMAX works.

I also got this confirmation from one of the senior engineers from EMC who works heavily on the VMAX around the globe.

Again my point of replying to this thread is to see if someone had found a workaround or if they are using a different tool to manage their daily tasks on the VMAX

regards,

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 8th, 2017 16:00

symcli

419 Posts

January 9th, 2017 07:00

vRamzy,

of course support will be able to help, they can look at the configuration and utilization, there may be error messages logging in the system that you are not aware of or an underlying configuration issue.

We have a lot of customers running on all flash with version 8.3.0.1 and not many complaints on the performance so would suspect something environmental. 

I am running all flash VMAX with 8.3.0.1 and the response time is pretty good on the UI.   There could be something you are not considering and we have little to go on here in a support forum.   Looking at the smas.log and run log will tell support where the problem may be. 

Also provide as much detail as you can on the support tickets which screens are slow, which operations are slow etc. 

No Events found!