Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2015 09:00

Using SRDF for data migration for extended distance (2500KM)

Folks,

I am looking for a solution to migrate data for extended distance. My plan is to initially copy the data synchronously by patching the new new max to the source side locally and then power off, forklift , patch it in new DC and start copying data asynchronously .

I am not sure sure of the bottlenecks that could affect the plan. If someone has migrated data using this plan , let me know you experience and advice to do a successful migration.

2.1K Posts

April 29th, 2015 09:00

It takes a while but I recently did a migration from a DMX4 to a VMAX20K from Ireland to the middle of Canada using SRDF Adaptive Copy w/ Disk then SRDF/A for the final sync.

Do you have to migrate fast? Otherwise I don't understand why the local then remote sync. Just do it all once the array is stable in its target location.

2.2K Posts

April 29th, 2015 10:00

I second Allen's statement. Using SRDF Adaptive Copy is a simple, low impact method for seeding the remote array.

35 Posts

April 29th, 2015 12:00

Allen,

We have time constraint in migrating data, so we are planning to seeding the array locally and then seeding it from remote.

1. Is this approach really possible?

2. I understand if this is possible , we can do the initial seeding using Adaptive Copy and then suspend the replication, ship the array and then do final delta changes.

3. Is there any other tool available within EMC to copy data internally other than SRDF.

Challenges is using same RA group for local once and then after patching at remote site to do remote sync

2.1K Posts

April 29th, 2015 12:00

We did have some time constraints but they were in terms of target weeks for completion. That being said we did manage to migrate 15+TB of data over a transatlantic 50MB Ethernet link (we used FCIP with Brocade 7800s).

What kind of time constraints are you looking at and how much data over what kind of a link?

It would certainly be simpler to do the one time ACP_Disk then Async with SRDF. While there are other migration products I don't think you are going to find a simpler way that would really be any faster for what you want to do.

35 Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Allen,

We are migrating a complete Data center. We have around 340 TB to be migrated for single VMAX box. So we are looking for a best solution which could save time and do a perfect migration.

We did use ACP_DISK and then ASYNC earlier for migrations for shorter distance and for 5TB+ data.

I thought of intial sync, fork lifting array and doing final sync option because this could save time and we have less data to be migrated over the WAN.

No Events found!