Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 9th, 2018 23:00

VMAX3 not freeing tracks

hi,

i am trying to delete a device in VMAX3.

i have issued the command:

symdev -sid free -all -dev

when i issue the command:

symcfg list -tdev -detail -dev -sid

i see that the flags of the device are:

FS.F - which means it is currently doing FreeingAll.

but after a couple of seconds when i check the device tracks with the symcfg command i see that the flags go back to FS.B, which means it is bound and not freeing the tracks.

any lead as to why it is happening and how to delete the device?

Thank you!

119 Posts

December 10th, 2018 04:00

If the command is accepted, then it should free all of the tracks. You may need to open an SR for a closer look at the devs in question. But first, can you provide outputs of the symcfg command before, during, and after the free command?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 10th, 2018 05:00

Bear in mind, the free operation may take some time to complete.  Based on my observation, it may depend slightly on system load, but even a lightly loaded system make take several minutes to free tracks for a device.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2018 23:00

these are the commands i'm running and their output: 1. symcfg list -tdev -detail -dev 00212 -sid Symmetrix ID: Enabled Capacity (Tracks) : 4355044049 Bound  Capacity (Tracks) :    3276810                 S Y M M E T R I X  T H I N  D E V I C E S --------------------------------------------------------------------------                                     Pool        Pool    Exclusive  Comp         Bound      Flags      Total  Subs      Allocated  Allocated  Ratio Sym  Pool Name    ESPT      Tracks  (%)    Tracks (%)    Tracks ----- ------------ ----- ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ 00212 -            FS.B    3276810    -          0  0          0  3.4:1       DG1_F_4      -.--          -    -        120  0          -      -       DG1_F_6      -.--          -    -        69  0          -      - Total                    ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ Tracks                      3276810    -        189  0          0  3.4:1 2. symdev -sid -dev 00212 free -all -nop 'FreeAll Start' operation succeeded for devices in set of ranges. 3. symcfg list -tdev -detail -dev 00212 -sid Symmetrix ID: Enabled Capacity (Tracks) : 4355044049 Bound  Capacity (Tracks) :    3276810                 S Y M M E T R I X  T H I N  D E V I C E S --------------------------------------------------------------------------                                     Pool        Pool    Exclusive  Comp         Bound      Flags      Total  Subs      Allocated  Allocated  Ratio Sym  Pool Name    ESPT      Tracks  (%)    Tracks (%)    Tracks ----- ------------ ----- ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ 00212 -            FS.F    3276810    -          0  0          0  3.4:1       DG1_F_4      -.--          -    -        120  0          -      -       DG1_F_6      -.--          -    -        69  0          -      - Total                    ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ Tracks                      3276810    -        189  0          0  3.4:1 4. symcfg list -tdev -detail -dev 00212 -sid Symmetrix ID: Enabled Capacity (Tracks) : 4355044049 Bound  Capacity (Tracks) :    3276810                 S Y M M E T R I X  T H I N  D E V I C E S --------------------------------------------------------------------------                                     Pool        Pool    Exclusive  Comp         Bound      Flags      Total  Subs      Allocated  Allocated  Ratio Sym  Pool Name    ESPT      Tracks  (%)    Tracks (%)    Tracks ----- ------------ ----- ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ 00212 -            FS.B    3276810    -          0  0          0  3.4:1       DG1_F_4      -.--          -    -        120  0          -      -       DG1_F_6      -.--          -    -        69  0          -      - Total                    ---------- ----- ---------- --- ---------- ------ Tracks                      3276810    -        189  0          0  3.4:1 the only difference I am seeing here is that the flags of the device are "FS.B".

119 Posts

December 18th, 2018 13:00

I don't know what may be the reason for this. You should open an SR for a further investigation. Support can look at the box with the debug Inlines commands. They can see if there are any sessions on the device, any errors against the device from when the free command was run, if the device actually does have these allocations or if it is an SE display issue, etc.

In the mean time, if you provide more info, we can look for known issues in the knowledgebase.

What is the model and code level of the array?

If the device was in some sort of session then I would expect the free command to be rejected. But what was the device used in TimeFinder, or SRDF, or VAAI/ODX sessions previously? If so, would be helpful to support to include this info in the SR.

Was the device set to not_ready and/or unmapped before running the free command? And after the free command?

Is there any other activity occurring between issuing the free and issuing the symcfg list command that was provided? For example, if the device is being mapped or added to an SG after the free, could be a label or something being written to the device.

Interested to know what is going on here, please keep this discussion updated, thanks!

No Events found!