Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 07:00

VMWare SRM + SRDF Adpater

I have a slight concern over the possible Implementation of the VMWare SRM application with SRDF Adapter for delpoyment within the Storage environment. It has been envisaged  that the VMWare product will be responisble for the mangaing and Disaster Recovery of its own presented Storage.....Which in itself may not be a bad thing.

However it would appear from the quick reading of a VMWare white paper below that in order for VMWare to interact with SRDF it requires SE (Solutions Enabler) to be installed on an ESX sever to act as an symapi server to the Array, and hence the possible issue.

I believe this may pose the vulnerability of exposing the Array to any executed symcli command from this host to whom ever has access (mainly rough+ready host team types), what can be done to secure SE down?

66 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 09:00

Take a look at symauth. You should be able to use it to limit array access.

December 22nd, 2010 07:00

Our Storage Group had the same concerns when working with the VM Admins:

We used a Solutions Enabler Client/Server set up:

Server 1:  Set up the VM Admins SRM Server w/ required Solutions Enabler components - I believe this is was without Licenses/ no SYMCLI BIN files

Server 2:  Set up a server as a SYMAPI server with required  SE components/ BIN files and required EMC licenses for SRM.  Server 2 has gatekeepers attached to the DMX you are using the storage on...(this does not have to be the VM Admins server).  You have to edit some config files on both servers, edit paths, etc, (this is in the documentation).

Server 2:  The VM admins do not have to have access to Server 2, and you can manage device groups from here - (this was in the recovery site, in our case).

See:  EMC Solutions Enabler V.7.11 Installation Guide and Using EMC SRDF Adpater for VMware Site Recovery Manager

No Events found!