Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2012 08:00

What are the best practices for distributing workload on the VMAXe

I can see in WLA that the IOPS are sometimes touching 1900 , we were hit up with a preformance issue a day back.

FAST VP was active moving extents between tiers to balance the load , but still there was the performance issue.

I suspect the workload is not getting balanced.

Can anyone point me to be best practices for distributing the load across the VMAX and how can i point that the performance degradation was primarily due to the high IOPS thrown by the server also how to take care of such spikes ?

Thanks in advance.

1.3K Posts

April 9th, 2012 08:00

1,900 isn't a lot of IOPs, unless the IO size is very large, like 1MB, where that would be almost 2GB/sec. 

I would start by making sure you are using enough front-end CPUs before you worry about the backend.  VMAXe should have the workload spread over the backend by default, but the front-end is up to the customer.

1.3K Posts

April 9th, 2012 09:00

2 engines should have a total of 16 available FA CPUs, and it sounds like you are using 4. 

I think I would start with SPA or STP data and try and see what components are most utilized, if you think the storage is a bottleneck.

27 Posts

April 9th, 2012 09:00

The write Kbytes/sec is recorded max at 46000 and the read Kbytes/sec 75000.

The hosts are zones to 4 FAs ( 1f:0, 2F:0, 3F:0, 4F:0 ).

The Storage has 2 engines. This is the max possible under the current config.

Will it be feasible to  increase the number of engines by one.

27 Posts

April 9th, 2012 12:00

In the heat map of the SPA , i was able to see the FA's and the disks to be red.

No Events found!