Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 13:00

can we move the devices from a SRDF DG to SRDF CG without any impact to the replication?

Hi,

We have recently installed a vmax frame in our production site and we have an existing vmax and we want to replicate both the frames to the DR site. The DR site contains one vmax.

Currently in the old vmax we are using the SRDF DG's and want to switch to CG as we have plans to replicate the new vmax to the DR site

Please advise can we move the devices from a SRDF DG to SRDF CG without any impact to the replication?

Thanks in Advance

Pardhu

465 Posts

August 12th, 2015 16:00

Yes, you may place devices under CG control from a DG without impacting replication. CG's and DG's are containers to group devices for the purpose of controlling and inquiring on them as a whole (or in part). Modifying the container (CG or DG) does not affect replication because no control operation is being carried out. In other words, replication will only be affected by your intentional entering a control command (well, apart from a communications issue between the arrays).

22 Posts

August 12th, 2015 18:00

Thanks Jason. I never done this in past, could you please let me know how do we perform this, is there any docs available?

Thanks

465 Posts

August 12th, 2015 22:00

Converting a DG to a CG is quite straight forward. Actually the symdg command has a function that does it for you.

1. Take a copy of your DG with symdg export dg_name -file export_file_name.txt

2. Create a CG from an existing DG with command : symdg dg2cg dg_name cg_name

Now you are good to use the new composite group. If you want to add a second DG into the newly created CG use command : symcg -cg add dg dg_name

Note that if you want to maintain SRDF consistency between all devices in the CG (which contains devs frm both source arrays), The composite group must become a consistency group. It's just the same group with consistency enabled with command : symrdf -cg cg_name enable

22 Posts

August 14th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Jason. Appreciate

I am able to move the devices.

No Events found!