Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2010 08:00

what does symclone recreate?

Hi,

i am just wonder to know about symclone recreate command. we establish the group every time when we want a point in copy and take backup( ofcourse we do full sync at first establish).

Thanks.

Uma

93 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 09:00

Hi Uma,

"symclone recreate" command allows you to incrementally copy all subsequent changes made to the source device to the target device.

To recreate the clone session , it should have been first created with either the -copy or precopy option and -differential option.
While recreate State, target device remains NR to host.After recreate operation, the session can be activated to initited a new point-in-time (differential) copy of data.

You can also find more information on : http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1//en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-000-876_a13.pdf

Regards

Amita

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 09:00

symclone recreate is the same thing as running symmir establish, it copies changed blocks since the last time symclone was activated. In order to use symclone recreate, the session has to be created with "-differential" option.

14 Posts

May 24th, 2014 22:00

Thanks a lot. It worked.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

cancel relationship and start from scratch

symclone -sid 123 -file pair1 terminate  (might have to add -symforce)

14 Posts

Hi dynamox:

I have created a clone group with "-differential" option so that I can recreate and copy only the changed data. However, now I need to make full establish on that group as the target devices are Raid0 and a disk got faulty. Symclone establish -full command is showing:

# symclone -sid xxxx -file pair1 establish -full -v

Execute 'Full Establish' operation for the 34 specified device(s)

in device file 'pair1' (y/ ) ? y

'Full Establish' operation execution is in progress for the device list in

device file 'pair1'. Please wait...

SELECTING the list of Source devices in the group:

Device: 153B [NOT SELECTED - ALREADY IN STATE]

Device: 1553 [NOT SELECTED - ALREADY IN STATE]

How can I make a full establish?

3 Posts

July 7th, 2014 11:00

Sorry for hopping on this thread, I figured there wasn't really a reason to start a new thread for my question.

In a -copy -differential session when the recreate command is issued and the pairs enter a recreated state. Are the protected tracks on the source continuously updated until the activate command is issued or are the protected tracks representing only up to the point of the recreate command being issued since the last activate command?

I have a DB2 dg that issues the recreate command then write suspend for DB2 then activate for the dg. Just wanted to make sure that it was being done properly.

July 7th, 2014 12:00

The protected tracks on the source are updated until an activate is issued which sets a point-in-time for the copy.

Regards.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

if you add -precopy to your recreate command they will be continuously updated until you activate the session.

Hello Dynamox,

He's asking, Are the protected tracks on the source continuously updated until the activate command is issued?

The answer is :

Yes, the "Protection Bit Map" for the tracks on the source (that are written to) since the pair entered a "Recreated" state, will get updated (change from 0 to 1) till you don't issue the activate command.

A -precopy (with a recreate) will only initiate a copy of the Protected tracks before an actual activate is run, but the "Protected tracks" counter will still continue to increment if there's a track on the source that is updated even if you use a recreate with a -no_copy or a -copy.

regards.

even without a -precopy, after a recreate is issued, all tracks on the source that are updated (before the pair is activated), will be marked as "Protected" (marked as "to be copied over").

i.e "Protected" tracks on the source are tracked, no matter what option you use with a recreate(precopy/copy/no_copy). They will be tracked until you activate the pair.

regards.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

he is asking if tracks are continuously updated, they are not continuously update unless you use -precopy.

No Events found!