Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2011 08:00

Ability To Update BIOS via WinPE 3.0 64bit

I'm trying to incorporate updating the systems BIOS through a MDT Task Sequence and this would happen in a WinPE environment. The EXE works when using a 32bit WinPE 3.0 disk but fails with a 64bit WinPE disk. I don't believe the BIOS update EXE is compatible because I receive this error when trying to run the EXE "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present." Is there a way to be able to do this in the 64bit WinPE environment?

The other issue I am seeing is when using the "-NOREBOOT" switch the BIOS never updates. I can see the EXE run but when I reboot the system nothing happens. When I don't use the "-NOREBOOT" switch the system reboots and applies the updated BIOS. I've also tried the "/s /f" switches and those too do not seem to work.

272 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 13:00

Hi there, I'm asking around for you about this question. There isn't currently support for the BIOS update EXE in a 64 bit WinPE environment. Just for clarification, the packages will work in a full Windows 64 bit environment, just not WinPE currently because WinPE 64 lacks Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit (WOW64) support.

I was told that there are future plans for WinPE 64 bit support, but this won't be for at least another year.

Not sure about the -noreboot switch just yet, still asking around.

Hope this helps,
Peter

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

September 12th, 2012 07:00

Are there still plans to release native x64 update packages? If so, when? Thanks.

April 15th, 2013 11:00

Does anyone have an update on this? Are there still plans to release native x64 update packages?

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

April 15th, 2013 21:00

eljefe357,

Could you pls clarify us whether are you also attempting to create a WINPE 3.0 x64 from DTK Windows exe package file

by using ADK (Windows) tool. And then on boot the server with the created WINPE 3.0 x64 and attempting the BIOS exe firmware in the prompt ?

Thanks

Vivek

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

April 15th, 2013 22:00

Sorry.. Typo error correction - "AIK" instead of "ADK"

April 16th, 2013 08:00

I want to create an x64 WinPE installation to install *WORKSTATION* BIOS updates.

No Events found!