Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2007 13:00

BMC configuration PE2850 ipmish

Hello Dell gurus,

I have configurated some servers (PE2850 and PE2950) with BMC ipaddress to remote power on/off options.

In the servers PE2950 I have the option "Shared" in the NIC option, IPMI over LAN, but on PE2850 this option is not available. In PE2950 I can make ping to this IP address and PE2850 I can't.

Anyway I made some tests in both servers models with ipmish, power status options worked fine, but in servers PE2850 after power off command, the next ipmish instructions have displayed: Error(0x6f):BMC is not detected.

In PE2950 I can power off and power on servers, in the PE2850 test after power off I am unavailable to power on the server.

Someone have any experience about that?

Thanks so much.

291 Posts

November 28th, 2007 02:00

1) On PEx8xx systems (PE2850, for example) DRAC does not have capability to use Side Band NIC traffic and hence cannot used shared mode. Would suggest you to use dedicated NIC and have separate cable for the same.

2) On PE2850 machines ICMP Ping won't work for BMC, hence ping fails while it pass for PE2950.

3) How did you power off the 2850 system exactly, since IP address was giving a problem? Could you please provide detailed steps?

4 Posts

November 28th, 2007 13:00

Thanks so much OMNavigator! In my Laptop I have used: C:\Archivos de programa\Dell\SysMgt\bmc>ipmish.exe -ip 172.16.0.119 -u root -p test power status Status = on If I want to power off the server: C:\Archivos de programa\Dell\SysMgt\bmc>ipmish.exe -ip 172.16.0.119 -u root -p test power off (or can use power off -force) >>> Would suggest you to use dedicated NIC and have separate cable for the same. >>> I have configured IPMI over LAN and IP static address, but I dont know how I can to specific this IP to NIC. Thanks so much for you help.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2007 13:00

Thanks so much OMNavigator!

In my Laptop I have used:

C:\Archivos de programa\Dell\SysMgt\bmc>ipmish.exe -ip 172.16.0.119 -u root -p test power status Status = on

If I want to power off the server: C:\Archivos de programa\Dell\SysMgt\bmc>ipmish.exe -ip 172.16.0.119 -u root -p test power off (or can use power off -force)

>>> Would suggest you to use dedicated NIC and have separate cable for the same. >>>
I have configured IPMI over LAN and IP static address, but I dont know how I can to specific this IP to NIC.

Thanks so much for you help.
No Events found!