Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2015 01:00

CMC web interface access lost, requires RACRESET, inconsistent, but recurring

Under the CMC 4.5, we were able to reliably access CMC via the web interface for ~3 months. In January, we added externally signed certificates to the CMC (required by parent organization). We updated the CMC to 5.00 and we tried (failed) to enable user authentication through active directory.

After each change, the system seemed to work properly. After a few days, the web interface is no longer accessible (no response) and there is no error message. Physically removing the active CMC does force the CMC controller to flip, but it doesn't restore the web interface.

The only way to restore the web interface is to SSH to the CMC and executing the command "RACRESET SOFT". Upon reset, the web interface works fine.

After another day or two, the web interface stops responding again.

The upgrade to 5.0.1 helped on one chassis, but it still happens once a week on the other.

I thought the issue might be tied to attempted failed logons, but it is not that consistent.

In the hardware and CMC log, I can't find anything clearly related to this. Started about that time, a regular series of 30 second losses in redundancy appears in the log. These might actually be the RACRESET instead of the cause.

Any assistance in how I can troubleshoot this will be greatly appreciated.

V/r

Brian

• 

6.2K Posts

May 21st, 2015 13:00

Hello Brian

It sounds like some type of buffer or cache is getting full over time. One of the reasons updating firmware/BIOS seems to fix a lot of issues is because it typically flushes volatile memory. Since the update did not correct the issue with one server I would suggest physically removing the CMCs from the system to allow them to drain power. Reinsert them after about 30 seconds and then monitor to see if the issue was resolved.

Thanks

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 12:00

Any update on this?

We have the same issue (inaccessible web interface).

5 Posts

June 10th, 2015 10:00

I am having the same issue. I can access using SSH and RACADM but not the web interface. Since the web interface is down I cannot run WSMAN discovery and inventory for OME either.

June 22nd, 2015 15:00

We just upgraded to 5.0.1 last week and we had to switch to our standby CMC to regain control through the web interface, which was completely unresponsive

With our previous version 4.x we never ran into this problem

I would like to hear from Dell if there is a problem with 5.0.1 and how to resolve

Cheers,

Ingrid

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 18:00

We tried reseating the CMC and that did NOT help.

I was able to re-access the GUI only by installing RAC tools and remotely updating the CMC to 5.0.1 using remote racadm. After the remote CMC  firmware update the gui came back online.....

I am glad the remote firmware update worked but that was a risky method.... It seems like racereset should have fixed it. Is there a more "complete" than racreset.... I don't believe so.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 24th, 2015 11:00

Hello

We have looked into this issue and a firmware update for the CMC will be released to resolve it. We are planning to release it within the next few days, but I cannot say for sure when it will release. I would suggest using email subscriptions on the driver and download page if you want to be notified when the update is released.

Thanks

5 Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

Ok, good news, thanks for the update.

Also, does Dell have a pre-determined release schedule? Does Dell release updates as needed or does Dell release updates similar to Microsoft's patch Tuesday, if so what is it?

No Events found!