Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2012 16:00

Can you control the LED warning light via software or command line?

I have 50 or more M905 and M610x blades with M2070Q Tesla cards (for RemoteFX).  Each blade is running Win2008R2 SP1 w/Hyper-V and houses a fully functioning independent network with no interconnection to any other blade (All the M1000e chassis the blades live in are pass though ports to there own storage, switches, etc).  Each one of these blades is running Win2008R2 SP1 virtual Domain controllers and 30+ Virtual Windows 7 SP1 workstations. 

The issue is each of these blades has it's own backup unit and backup job that runs nightly.  Sometimes they run out of tapes, have random file in use errors etc.  My issue is daily I must log into each of these blades and check the backup status.  If they all lived on the same network I could have it send me email notification of which ones failed but these networks are completely seperated with no connection to each other.

The backup software I'm using can trigger a command line if a failure happens.  Question is can I simply trigger the amber light on the front of the blade when a backup fails via command line or application.  This would allow me to just check the servers that are blinking at me?

13 Posts

April 4th, 2012 10:00

Here is a tested  method to flash the LED:

Racadm –r -u (CMC username) –p (Password) settled –m server- -l 1 – This blinks the LED

Racadm –r -u (CMC username) –p (Password) settled –m server- -l 0 – This stops the blinking

Requirements:

DRAC Tools must be installed on the system the command is being run on

The system the command is being run on must have network connectivity to the CMC

The username used must have admin privileges in the CMC

The command to stop the blinking must be run to stop the LED from blinking

Here is more information as well: support.dell.com/.../a-clisub.htm

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

April 10th, 2012 11:00

Someone suggested the following:

Racadm –r -u (CMC username) –p (Password) settled –m server- -l 1 – This blinks the LED

Racadm –r -u (CMC username) –p (Password) settled –m server- -l 0 – This stops the blinking

This works provided the blade server running the RACADM command has access to the CMC (I'm told).  In my case they do not, each blade is using passthrough network ports connecting each to it's own external switch.  The CMCs do not connect to any of these networks but are daisy chained together in a management network.

I was hoping the blade itself could communicate to it's own iDRAC to trigger the light via some internal method, even if it was by triggering a false alarm (over temp, memory error, HDD failure, or other senario where the light was triggered....).

No Events found!