March 8th, 2012 00:00

Cannot access iDRAC6 over the WAN

iDRAC6 Enterprise

Hardware Version: 0.01

Firmware Version: 1.85 (Build 03)

IPMI Version: 2.0

----------------------------------------------

Hi,

I recently setup a DELL R610 with iDRAC6 Enterprise card inside on site abroad. I put standard network settings (IP address, netmask, gateway) and I had no problem to access the iDRAC when I was on the same subnet (I could use virtual console).

I'm now back to my home site and I try to access again the iDRAC6 but I just get a blank page instead of the home page. What is strange is that I'm connected to the iDRAC because the URL is correctly modified to point to the home page (from http://x.x.x.x to https://x.x.x.x/start.html) and I can ping the iDRAC card but the welcome page remains blank. If I connect to the server itself with remote desktop then I can connect to the iDRAC6 and it works fine but this is obviously not the objective!

Does anybody else have this problem or a possible solution (if it's not an hardware problem)?

March 8th, 2012 05:00

It does not depend on the browser (tested with IE9, Firefox 10 and Chrome 17)

March 8th, 2012 08:00

Hi Chris,

I did a tracert and it gave the same routing result as any other network devices in this subnet. Average response time is ok (82ms after 65 packets sent) so I don't think it's a timeout issue.

Yes, I tried refreshing the web page but it did not change anything.

It's really disappointing.

March 8th, 2012 08:00

Hi Olivier,

Since you can ping and it is getting routed, I wonder if the connection may be dropping or timing out which can be attributed to a lengthy network hop. You may want to analyze the traceroute from home to iDRAC. Also, have you tried refreshing the page when it goes blank?

Hope this help.

March 8th, 2012 13:00

Another possibility is a firewall or proxy blocking something. It could only be confirmed by looking at the details of your network config. Examine your config and if it's still a problem our support team at 800-945-3355 will be able to dig a bit more into the issue. You'll be assigned a trouble ticket to track.

March 9th, 2012 03:00

No proxy were defined so the problem is not on this side.

Regarding the firewall, I access this DRAC card thru a VPN over Internet with Cisco routers on each side. ACL do not filter any port.

In order to detect the problem we enabled debug mode on the traffic to this drac card and we noticed a  very strange behaviour:

packets from client to DRAC are ok

Mar  9 09:34:36.563: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 100 permitted tcp 10.1.99.10(49157) -> 10.28.5.1(80), 1 packet

but packet which come back from DRAC, do not have a port number, actually I see port 0

Mar  9 09:37:41.471: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 111 permitted tcp 10.28.5.1(0) -> 10.1.99.10(0), 1 packet

I've checked again and again all network device (one switch and one cisco router) and there is no settings that could normally create this behaviour.

March 9th, 2012 05:00

Fixed. It was an issue with the Cisco router which did not packet coming from the iDRAC because of an excessive size. We set mss to 1350 to fix this problem out.

See www.cisco.com/.../technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6979.shtml

No Events found!