Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 14:00

Clear Lifecycle Logs

Hello all ,

first sorry for my broken English  .

So we have few Dell r720s . We add few new components to them and we are ready to give them to our customers .
But before that we want to clear Lifecycle Logs for all the old logs that are there. I already try : omconfig system [alertlog , cmdlog , esmlog] action=clear  command , and also to reset the idrac .But noting helps .
Does anyone know how I can get rid of them ?

Thanks

Mitko

• 

8.8K Posts

March 4th, 2013 15:00

Mitko,

To clear the Lifecycle Log you will need to access the iDrac and go to Log, clear log. Or to access Open manage from the OS. You would then select the log and then hit the Clear button from the bottom of the page.

Let me know how it goes.

March 5th, 2013 06:00

Chris , clear log button is only for Logs tab . Next to it is the Lifecycle Log tab, and there is no clear button .

March 6th, 2013 06:00

Chris , thank you very much for the answer .

• 

8.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 06:00

The Lifecycle Log is designed to be persistent, so there isn't an option to easily clear it. The only way to actually clear it is to do a reset on the LC and iDrac.  Now doing this you will reset the iDRAC to factory defaults, and delete all iDRAC user credentials and IP address configuration settings. So you would need to reconfigure the iDrac locally, as you would lose the configuration to access remotely. It also deletes all the lifecycle logs that contain the history of all the change events, firmware upgrades, and user comments.

If you are still interested in clearing the log, resetting the LC this is how -

You would find it in the Lifecycle Controller under Hardware Config - Delete Config and Reset Defaults - then place a check in RESET LIFECYCLE CONTROLLER and click Finish. It will power off and you will have to manually power it back on.

5 Posts

July 30th, 2013 07:00

The Lifecycle Log is designed to be persistent, so there isn't an option to easily clear it.

There is no option to delete the LC logs unless you execute the LCWipe method on the iDRAC.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4469/t/19512181.aspx

IMHO it looks like there is actually a way to clear LC logs, however for some reason Dell does not want to make this information available to public. I do not quite understand why, but if that is not the case could you please prove step-by-step instructions how to do it. It would be nice if they were in the similar format like in Mondeep`s post about exporting them mentioned above.

Thank you.

30 Posts

July 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi mcsbench,

Although there is a way we can clear the LCLogs, it is part of a bigger process and is not a standalone process. That process is called LC Wipe, which basically resets iDRAC and LC to factory default settings. When we reset the system to factory settings, it will clear all the settings which might have been configured on the iDRAC and LC for that system, including the network settings. So,after that, you will have to reconfigure iDRAC locally to have OOB management capabilities. The best option would be from F2>iDRAC Settings. Dell-Chris has mentioned the steps to do it from LC. If you would like to clear the LC logs, this is the winrm command to do so -

winrm i LCWipe schemas.dell.com/.../DCIM_LCService -u:root -p:calvin -r:https://idrac_ip/wsman -SkipCNcheck -SkipCAcheck -encoding:utf-8 -a:basic

Replace your idrac_ip in the command above.

Do plan ahead on how to configure the iDRAC locally after performing this.

Regards,

Dell-Mondeep

5 Posts

July 31st, 2013 02:00

Hi Mondeep,

Thank you very much for your help and info provided. 

Although Chris has mentioned about iDrac reset which can be done by doing F2 > iDrac > Reset iDrac to default, that unfortunately wont clear LC logs. Just to make it clear I do not mind to wipe the Lifecycle Controller and iDRAC configs.. etc

Regards,

MCSbench

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 03:00

On IDrac 8 Enterprises on 13th gneration, we see predict failure report for Disk4.  As per Dell support this is false positive, but we could clear the log as well. so we loose the global status alert for IDrac through SNMP. Anyone can help?

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for the update, But  I see yet global status remarked as non critical warning, even I cleared system event Log. I dont see Lifecycler logs in previous IDrac 6. Now I just monitored LCD status instead of Global status

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 4th, 2015 04:00

You can clear System Event Log to remove global status.

185 Posts

February 16th, 2016 00:00

I have a couple of servers R720 with error on front LCD about Dive 0 failed. Since then Dive 0 no longer even exists in the server (physically been removed, the slot is EMPTY, array that was there was removed)

But I simply can not get the display to be back to normal

I can see the errors in LC log, but no way to clear it (which is really stupid IMO)

Seb

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

February 16th, 2016 01:00

Can you clear SEL logs and check LCD status

185 Posts

February 16th, 2016 08:00

Makes no difference to the LCD, as the error was never in SEL log but only in LC

185 Posts

March 7th, 2016 02:00

The LCD cleared when fully disconnected power cords (not just power down the unit)

Seb

No Events found!