Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 7th, 2014 10:00

DRAC refuses to update NIC, PSU firmware after upload

Hello,

I have 32 PowerEdge R720s with three four-port Intel i350-t4 NICs. With both the NICs and the Liteon PSUs, I have been unable to update their firmware via DRAC or LCC. When attempting to update via Life Cycle Controller, the utility fails to recognize the drivers at all, whether directed to Dell's FTP site, an SUU image, individual DUPs or payloads extracted from DUPs.

When I attempt to upload the firmware via DRAC (DRAC | iDRAC Settings | Update and Rollback) I am able to upload the package, and DRAC recognizes what it is, but I am unable to select it (see image above: Select All is ticked but fails to select the individual update, and you cannot tick the box for that update.)

The NIC update sometimes works once on a server but only hits one or two of the cards - I haven't had a machine yet where all three update. It isn't visible in the image, but I have three identical cards (in this machine) running three different firmware versions.

Also, the DRAC sometimes loses an entire NIC (four ports) from the system inventory altogether.

With the PSUs, I have been able to update some of them from 7.12.57 to 7.12.59 with the 9.13.59 or 7.13.54 packages, but never all the way to either 9.13.59 or 7.13.54.

These R720s have been updates to DRAC 1.57.57, BIOS 2.4.3 and LCC 1.4.2.12. They are all ESXi hosts. I tried booting them off a Hirem Mini XP disk to see if I could get them to load the drivers by running the executables there, but even the 32-bit DUPs crashed at launch. Your help is appreciated.

Jon

• 

6.2K Posts

November 8th, 2014 11:00

Hello Jon

When I attempt to upload the firmware via DRAC (DRAC | iDRAC Settings | Update and Rollback) I am able to upload the package, and DRAC recognizes what it is, but I am unable to select it (see image above: Select All is ticked but fails to select the individual update, and you cannot tick the box for that update.)

The picture indicates that you are trying to use a 64 bit DUP. On 12g and earlier systems you need to use 32 bit DUPs. Download a 32 bit DUP by selecting 2008 x86 in the OS drop-down menu on the drivers and download page. Let me know if that allows the updates to proceed.

Thanks

November 9th, 2014 20:00

Daniel,

Unfortunately not. I first tried the 32 bit DUP, not pictured here, and when I couldn't get it to consistently work, figured I would try the 64 bit as well. But neither are working.

Cheers,

Jon

November 10th, 2014 06:00

Here it is again, this time with the 32 bit DUP, showing that I cannot select it even though it sees there are multiple instances that require it:

• 

6.2K Posts

November 15th, 2014 10:00

I suspect the issue is that the system is detecting the adapters and seeing them as current. Even though it shows in that list an update is available it is not allowing the update because the first detected I350 is already current.

I have seen this issue before when trying to update multiple of the same component within a system. It is most prevalent when the devices are at various firmware revisions. It will fail to update all of the devices, and will sometimes not allow subsequent updates because the first queried device is already current.

I suggest this to resolve the issue, physically remove or disable the i350 adapter that is at revision 16.0.24 and then run the update. If it still fails to update all devices then remove/disable the next device that is up to date. If you choose to disable then that would have to be done at a BIOS level.

Thanks

No Events found!