Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Dell C6100 IPMI Password

I am trying to figure out how to reset the IPMI password for the C6100 nodes. We have a couple that have no OS installed and we do not know the password to. I know to set the password it's done through the web UI but that requires one to login which I cannot do. Is there a way to change the password with physical access to the server? I know SuperMicro has a ipmicfg file that is bootable to update these things. Do the C6100's have something similar?

• 

6.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 13:00

Hello invader138

It can only be reset via IPMI commands, and if you don't know the user/pass then it can only be done locally as remote access would require a login. There may be a configuration file you can manipulate, but I'm not familiar with that.

Since you don't have an OS installed you will need to either install an OS or boot to  live CD/DVD to run the IPMI command. If you haven't already I would suggest trying root/root as the user/pass since that is the default. You can refer to this post regarding the syntax for the password change:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/177/p/19445236/20089558.aspx

Thanks

2 Posts

August 9th, 2013 14:00

Yes, I tried root/root but it did not work out. I have a USB boot drive. It there a utility that I can boot to and run to reset the password? Or should I boot to RIPLinux or a Ubuntu Live CD and run some commands? If a live CD is the best route, what are the commands to run to reset the password?

• 

6.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 14:00

It there a utility that I can boot to and run to reset the password? Or should I boot to RIPLinux or a Ubuntu Live CD and run some commands?

No, there is not a utility I'm aware of. Any live Linux distro should work.

If a live CD is the best route, what are the commands to run to reset the password?

The only way to change from the default user/pass is through the operating system on the server via IPMI. You will need something like IPMItool installed. The command syntax will be similar to this:

#ipmitool user set password 2 newpassword

The number 2 in the command is referring to user ID # 2 which is root.

No Events found!