Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 15:00

Dell Deployment Package 1.2 "Set RebootStep Variable" problems

I see a discussion about this dating back to 2009, I was hoping this was resolved in DDP 1.2.

This is on a new install of SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 on Windows 2008.

I've setup a basic Bare Metal Server Deployment task to deploy Windows 2008 std x64 to a new R610. I've advertised it to the All Unknown Computers collection. The TS is failing on the Set RebootStep portion after the 1st reboot (Task Sequence: xxxx has failed with error code (0x00000001). Looking at the smsts.log the error is "Failed to run the last action: Set RebootStep Variable. Execution has been aborted"

1 Message

March 31st, 2010 02:00

Did you have any joy with this, I'm getting the same error?

10 Posts

March 31st, 2010 10:00

Nothing yet, I've opened a case with Dell, the only help so far was to run the VBS script they posted to check WMI. I have started pre-staging my test server and trying to deploy that way. It seems to work better, but fails when installing Windows. This is an awesome idea and would make server deployments so much easier and consistent, but after 2 weeks of trying I am about to uninstall it and try something else.

I'm sure you've seen it, but if not here is the link to the script http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Troubleshooting+DDP+-+RebootStep

29 Posts

March 31st, 2010 23:00

Hi Raymond,

Can you post the smsts log contents. Fully it doesn't fit here. Please post at least 100-200 lines above the error you are noticing.

Is the machine added to the SCCM or it is an unknown computer.

Thanks,
Sumanth

118 Posts

April 7th, 2010 01:00

also, make sure you have the advert configured to "run from DP". also, are you importing the computer before running the TS?

20 Posts

April 7th, 2010 03:00

Hi!
I ran into the same problem. If you read the custom rebootscript-file it says that deploying to unknown computers doesn't work. Import the computer to SCCM and advertise the task to the collection that you've imported the server to. Now, there are two ways to install the OS; 1. using the install.wim file on your OS-media (backdraw here is that your system partion will be D: and not C:\. 2. Capture an installation and use the wim-file created. ( I would recommend taking the time to do this as you can use the image on other models as well as the one the image is captured from)

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 07:00

Thanks everyone for your replies! Of course things have gotten busy and I haven't been able to work on this as much as I would like,

But here's 2 things I have done.

#1 I went ahead and imported my R610 in to SCCM via Computer Association --> Import Computer Information and popped it in a Collection with a new Bare Metal Task Sequence advertised. I now believe I have something else wrong since it will boot off the boot image start up the TS briefly and then try to reboot in to PXE. When this happens the machine reboots and I get a no boot device available message. What's strange is that I have command support enable on the PXE boot image, but it will not respond to F8 to bring up a prompt so I am unable to save the smsts.log. Every time after this I have to boot the box off the Dell server setup CD and set the RAID controller before I can try again.

#2 I have a demo R910 (yeah prolly not the best candidate) that I tried unknown deployment on. The process actually ran on it up to the point where it indicated it was running the RAID config and failed. I do have an smsts.log off this box and here are some of the errors SMS Trace highlighted. I am hoping that this server's error is simply a bad RAID config in the TS.

Failed to save the current environment block. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)

Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057) TSManager 4/6/2010 12:40:22 PM 1892 (0x0764)

Failed to save execution state and environment to local hard disk

Thanks again for your responses!!

20 Posts

April 7th, 2010 15:00

Hi,
I would suggest using the already made ini-files for the raid-setup.
The error you are getting is probably caused by the fact that in your advertisement you have not set to run the packages from your distribution point but to download the packages to your HDD and run the setup from there. This will not work as no partitions are ready, you have to set the packages to be run from your DP.

I have successfully installed Windows Server 2008 R2 to both PowerEdge M600 and PowerEdge R710 using the DPP 1.2 Upon request I can provide you with a screenshot of my task sequence.

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 16:00

Tommy, I will double check that, but I've been going by "Best Practices for Advertising a Task Sequence" in the User's guide and have made these TS's (checking the "access content directly etc etc box) more times than I can count. Never hurts to check though.......

29 Posts

April 12th, 2010 00:00

Hi Raymond,

For the failure you are noticing in case 2 caould you please search for critical error in the smsts.log file and post it here. the errors you have posted are ConfigMgr errors which will always be there and they can be ignored.

for the #1 have you updated the DP's with the image after you have enabled the command prompt?

Thanks,
Sumanth

2 Posts

December 14th, 2010 11:00

"Hi!
I ran into the same problem. If you read the custom rebootscript-file it says that deploying to unknown computers doesn't work. Import the computer to SCCM and advertise the task to the collection that you've imported the server to. Now, there are two ways to install the OS; 1. using the install.wim file on your OS-media (backdraw here is that your system partion will be D: and not C:\. 2. Capture an installation and use the wim-file created. ( I would recommend taking the time to do this as you can use the image on other models as well as the one the image is captured from) "
so Dell designed this deployment pack to not work with unknown computer support? are they going to fix this in future releases? we deploy all are images with Unknown computer support.

20 Posts

December 15th, 2010 03:00

No, there's a difference between deploying to a server and to a computer/workstation. On workstations the unknow computer option works like a charm. It's deploying to a unknown server that is not supported.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 12:00

Has this issue been resolved?  I am getting the same error when trying to deploy to an imported M620 collection (not unknown computers).  The smsts.log contains the error "Failed to run the last action: Set RebootStep Variable. Execution of task sequence failed"  Thanks for any help; I have been troubleshooting this for a week.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 12:00

Can you please post your working TS screenshot as the default Dell Bare Metal Server Depployement does not work.  Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

No Events found!