Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 19th, 2015 12:00

Dell SUU - Question re: process and time involved

Hi all -

I've taken over an R710 for a client and it's way overdue for firmware updates.

Bios version 3.0.0 --> 6.4.0
iDRAC version 1.70 --> 1.98
Controller PERC 6/i Integrated version 6.2.0-0013 --> 6.3.1-0003

I see that the SUU looks like the best way to comprehensively update all firmware but I'm wondering if someone can speak to how long the process takes? Disregarding the time spent downloading the ISO. I need to let the client know  roughly how long their server will be offline and as I've never used the SUU before, I don't know if it's a quick < 1hr process or if we're talking hours. Obviously, this assumes nothing goes wrong.

Can anyone provide any insight on this - any thoughts are appreciated. 

Thanks

• 

8.7K Posts

May 19th, 2015 17:00

Hi,

What OS is the system running? Are you updating from within the OS? If you are updating from within the OS the downtime will be minimal as the updates are applied on reboot.

3 Posts

May 20th, 2015 14:00

Hi Josh - The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2. My understanding was that SUU is run from within the OS?

• 

8.7K Posts

For Server 2008 R2 it does run within the OS, so the actual downtime is just the reboot and applying of updates. It probably will take less than 15 minutes of actual downtime, but I would probably schedule an hour.

3 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply. What is the advantage of running the bootable ISO as opposed to SUU? My impression was that SUU was sort of a point and click option from within the server OS, i.e. you see a list of what needs to be updated, choose the appropriate options and then proceed. Seemed to be more hands off than the bootable ISO option you mention?

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

If you can take the server down, I recommend the following way for someone who doesn't deal with this on a regular basis:

1) Download this ISO: dell.app.box.com/BootableR710 and burn it (1.3GB)

It contains all R710 applicable FW updates. Created and uploaded by DELL Germany Sascha Hoffmann, so it's official. You can create one yourself by using DELL Repository Manager.

2) Reboot to CD/DVD, let it boot, sit back and watch how they apply, then after about 45 minutes press ENTER to initiate the finalizing reboot.

Warning: Depending on the R710 current firmware level you might run into serious problems. I'm looking at you PSUs, Lifecycle Controller and NICs:

• Some PSUs need up to 20 to 30 minutes to complete a FW update and there is no easy way to tell if they are actually updating right now or what. Instead the server will just sit there. The server will be powered down and NOT power up for 20 minutes or so. Be patient and don't power it on! The process has to be repeated with the second PSU, so all in all this can take up an additional 45 to 60 minutes.
  • Broadcom and Intel NICs sometimes need stepped updates. Also certain Broadcom NICs might brick if updated through LC. The recommended way is to update from within Linux/OMSA and not through LC.
    The bootable ISO linked above will take care of both problems, but you have to run it a second or even third time obviously.
  • LifeCycle Controller will brick under certain circumstances (when severely outdated). There is a LC Repair Package available to unbrick.

3) Repeat step 2 until all NICs are fully up to date.

No Events found!