Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2012 08:00

Firmware Upgrade Anomolies on M610

I am experiencing some interesting behavior when trying to upgrade the firmware on an M610 blade.  I have tried a couple different methods and have experienced different outcomes. 

I am running Repository Manager 1.4.113 as the definitive source for these firmware upgrades.  I only have one local repository created with v410 bundles for almost all 11g rack and blade servers that we have.

First method - I created a Linux-based distribution ISO from my local respository in RM and mounted it through the CMC via the Remote File Share.  I then booted the blade to this ISO.  The BIOS and iDRAC successfully upgraded their firmware, but the network cards all did not update.

Second method - I booted LifeCycle Controller and did a Platform Upgrade pointing to the local repository I created in RM.  This time, the BIOS, iDRAC, and (2) 1GB Ethernet Broadcom NICs successfully upgraded.  However, the (2) 10GB Ethernet Broadcom NICs did not upgrade.  I received the following errror during the upgrade process in the LC:  "Return code mismatch for NicWrapper.efi - (0xb0000001)!  Rebooting system in 3 seconds".  I assume this happened during the upgrade of the 10GB cards.

Finally, after the successful upgrade via BOTH methods above, my remote console session seems to be crashing after a few minutes consistently.  If I have remote console open for about 4-5 minutes, I will simply get the error "Virtual Console is restarted. Closing the Virtual Console."

Thanks in advance for your support.

Mike

March 2nd, 2012 14:00

Sorry to be impatient, but I could really use some help on these issues.  Can someone point me in the right direction or provide a support contact?  Thanks very much.

March 7th, 2012 12:00

Hello Mike,

I understand that you have upgraded except the failure on 10Gb NIC. In order to proceed, it would greatly help to know exactly what is currently installed on your system, specifically the versions of BIOS, NIC, iDRAC and LC. For the last 2, you can get that from the iDRAC Configuration (Ctrl-E).

For Broadcom NIC, what was the older version and what version you tried to upgrade to?

March 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi Chris,

The current firmware revisions on the machine are as follows:

BIOS:  3.0.0 (Was upgraded to 6.x earlier, but I rolled back to test the virtual console crash problem)

iDRAC6:  3.30 (successfully upgraded from 3.21)

LC:  1.5.1.57

Broadcom NICs:  The 1 GbE NICs were successfully upgraded to 6.2.16 from 5.2.7.  The 10 GbE NICs failed to upgrade from 5.2.7.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

March 21st, 2012 11:00

Hi Mike,

It took some time to find if this issue is known and it turns out that the NIC upgrade failure is a known issue. We don't have a notification process for this so keep checking the firmware download site for new versions of NIC update (also watch for iDRAC and LC updates).

December 25th, 2012 16:00

Hi Chris:

Where are we on getting this issue fixed?  I'm seeing the same mismatch error with my stock BRCM GB nics in my T710...  The catalog seems updated from the last time I tried, but its still failing. I'm unable to update either the BRCM firmware or the lifecycle controller. 

Thanks,

Doug 

January 30th, 2013 11:00

I am having the same issues on our M610's.  Some broadcoms are updating and some bomb out with the mismatch error.  Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

So you have 2 options, both will require booting to a cd/dvd. The first is to use Repository Manager to create a bootable deployment media that you would boot the system to, and the it would automatically update the system to the latest versions of firmwares that were release in late December. The other choice is more complicated and requires the use of the Systems Management Tools and Documentation disc that comes with most servers, and a Server Update Utility 7.x from the support site. I would recommend the RM disc as it is much easier and less downloading.

Rm can be downloaded from this link: www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

The 2nd video at this site details how to create the bootable iso en.community.dell.com/.../1767.dell-repository-manager.aspx

Another video on the page (Finding Dell PowerEdge update that are newer then what is in the catalog) is particularly useful because at times, the support site can have an update package that is not in the catalog that the LC uses, and RM can be used to integrate that newer version into an iso that the LC can then consume.

Now for the big story, as you see, the LC is not perfect, and due to various issues, the best thing to do at this time is to use the in band updates from an OS (RM disc) to get you to the current levels. It may be necessary to use an actual disc to perform the update with a cd/dvd drive connected to the system, because updates done through virtual media or the CMC can still have issues.  Once you are at these levels, you should be ok for a while and the issues that are preventing the updates have been fixed in these latest versions of firmware for idrac, LC and nics, and future updates should not have any problems running from the LC.

January 30th, 2013 21:00

Worked like champ for me Rey! Thanks!!!!  My T710 now has all the latest and greatest firmware installed.

Regards,

Doug

January 31st, 2013 06:00

I actually tried the boot cd on my M610 and had same exact problem :/

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

January 31st, 2013 07:00

Mark, can you elaborate on what you have tried and what versions of CMC, idrac and LC you are at? Also have you considered calling into support with this one for a faster solution? I dont mind trying to help, but some folks get frustrated with our response times as we do this when time permits...

No Events found!