Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 21st, 2018 12:00

How enable redfish EventService on a PowerEdge FC630

Hello.

We have a couple of Dell Servers (PowerEdge M630s in a VRTX chassis, and FC630's in a FX2s chassis) here in the office, and we're experimenting with Redfish support.  I have the iDRAC modules on the all the servers upgraded to the latest (2.52.52.52), I have redfish enabled, and I have been able to successfully retrieve various redfish data from the device.

What we are now interested in is the Redfish EventService. 

Looking at the guide, it seems like all these servers should support this.  Additionally, when I do GETs on https:// /redfish/v1/EventService, the device is responding:

{"@odata.context":"/redfish/v1/$metadata#EventService.EventService","@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/EventService","@odata.type":"#EventService.v1_0_2.EventService","Actions":{"#EventService.SubmitTestEvent":{"EventType@Redfish.AllowableValues":["StatusChange","ResourceUpdated","ResourceAdded","ResourceRemoved","Alert"],"target":"/redfish/v1/EventService/Actions/EventService.SubmitTestEvent"}},"DeliveryRetryAttempts":3,"DeliveryRetryIntervalSeconds":30,"Description":"Event Service represents the properties for the service","EventTypesForSubscription":["StatusChange","ResourceUpdated","ResourceAdded","ResourceRemoved","Alert"],"EventTypesForSubscription@odata.count":5,"Id":"EventService","Name":"Event Service","ServiceEnabled":false,"Status":{"Health":"OK","HealthRollup":"OK","State":"Disabled"},"Subscriptions":{"@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/EventService/Subscriptions"}}

However (as you can see in the above response from the device), it's telling us that "ServiceEnabled: false".

What do we need to do to enable the service?  I have tried referencing the iDRAC guide, the racadm guide, and I have also combed the internet, but have not found the answer.  Any help that can be provided would be GREATLY appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 21st, 2018 15:00

Hello

I'm not aware of a way to enable or disable the event service. If redfish is enabled then the event service should be enabled. I don't see granular control of the service available anywhere.

I suggest reviewing page 12 and 13 of the 2.50 manual regarding FX chassis. There are additional options that may need to be enabled on those systems.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/12213.redfish

I'm not very familiar with redfish, so I'm not sure why your application test failed. I suggest reviewing the documentation to make sure the event service can perform whatever test is being run against it.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 21st, 2018 21:00

ServiceEnabled will be showing false if alerts are disabled on iDRAC. You can enable alerts on iDRAC(Overview-> Server->Alerts page) and check the behavior

To configure Redfish Eventing you need to perform below steps

• Enabled alerts on iDRAC (Overview-> Server->Alerts page)
  • Select Redfish Event for required alerts in Alerts and Remote System Log Configuration table (Overview-> Server->Alerts page)
  • Subscribe your client (Where you want receive alerts from iDRAC) using URI "redfish/v1/EventService/Subscriptions"
    • You can perform POST on this URI with paylod
    • {"Destination": "Client IP","EventTypes": ["Alert"],"Context": "User name e.g root","Protocol": "Redfish"} 
  • Run Redfish Eventing listening tool on client
  • To test Redfish Eventing you can use URI /redfish/v1/EventService/Actions/EventService.SubmitTestEvent
    • You can perform POST on this URI with paylod
    • {"Destination": "Client IP","EventTypes": ["Alert"],"Context": "Root","Protocol": "Redfish","MessageId":"Any ID for which alert need to be created E.g. TMP0118"}

You can use below tool as Redfish Event Listener or to perform Subscription

https://github.com/DMTF/Redfish-Event-Listener 

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 12:00

Thank you for help, Shine K!

Using your instructions, we were able to get the EventService up and running.  Additionally, we were also able to subscribe, and get the python event listener up and running.

Unfortunately, where we are now stuck at is wondering why the event listener doesn't seem to be receiving the test events.  We have tried sending the POST with the payload you suggested, as well as using racadm and the iDRAC webUI's Send Test Event function.  All of those seem to initiate the sending of the test event (we aren't seeing any errors), but we are never seeing anything in the event viewer's console regarding actual reception of the test events.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 13:00

Just wanted to give a final update, and let you know that we had a small mistake in our subscription.  Once we fixed that, everything started working correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Message

October 19th, 2018 12:00

Hi Shine,

Does Dell have any plans to support enabling the EventService via Redfish? For example, with Cisco's implementation I can programmatically enable the service with the following PATCH call:

# Enable Redfish EventService 
curl -XPATCH -v https://10.10.20.60/redfish/v1/EventService -d '{"ServiceEnabled":true}' -u admin:mypassword --insecure

Thanks,
Sean

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

October 20th, 2018 03:00

Yes Dell support enabling/disabling Redfish event service. You can run below curl command for the same

curl -XPATCH -v https://10.10.10.10/redfish/v1/EventService -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d '{"ServiceEnabled":true}' -u username:userPassword --insecure

2 Posts

November 8th, 2018 05:00

Hi

Is the curl command to enable/disable eventservice works for PowerEdge R740xd?

Got the below error:

{"error":{"@Message.ExtendedInfo":[{"Message":"Unable to run the method because the requested HTTP method is not allowed.","MessageArgs":[],"MessageArgs@odata.count":0,"MessageId":"iDRAC.1.6.SYS402","RelatedProperties":[],"RelatedProperties@odata.count":0,"Resolution":"Enter a valid HTTP method and retry the operation. For information about valid methods, see the Redfish Users Guide available on the support site.","Severity":"Informational"}],"code":"Base.1.0.GeneralError","message":"A general error has occurred. See ExtendedInfo for more information"}}

Any specific firmware/redfish version to be used?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

November 14th, 2018 00:00

This message will come when URI is not correct. Make sure your iDRAC IP and URI is correct 

https:// /redfish/v1/EventService

2 Posts

November 21st, 2018 23:00

CURL on GET eventservice have no issues. So URL seems to be good.

{"@odata.context":"/redfish/v1/$metadata#EventService.EventService","@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/EventService","@odata.type":"#EventService.v1_0_2.EventService","Actions":{"#EventService.SubmitTestEvent":{"EventType@Redfish.AllowableValues":["StatusChange","ResourceUpdated","ResourceAdded","ResourceRemoved","Alert"],"target":"/redfish/v1/EventService/Actions/EventService.SubmitTestEvent"}},"DeliveryRetryAttempts":3,"DeliveryRetryIntervalSeconds":30,"Description":"Event Service represents the properties for the service","EventTypesForSubscription":["StatusChange","ResourceUpdated","ResourceAdded","ResourceRemoved","Alert"],"EventTypesForSubscription@odata.count":5,"Id":"EventService","Name":"Event Service","ServiceEnabled":false,"Status":{"Health":"OK","HealthRollup":"OK","State":"Disabled"},"Subscriptions":{"@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/EventService/Subscriptions"}}

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 22:00

Can you share what was the mistake? I'm having the same issue.

No Events found!