Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2014 11:00

How to Install Dell OMSA on a VMware host or VMware guest with vSphere Hypervisor Free?

We are virtualizing our Windows 2012 R2 server and have a Dell PowerEdge T310 server. We have installed vSphere free hypervisor version 5.5 on the physical server.

Does anyone know how to install the Dell OMSA? I have heard that it will not work if it is installed on the Windows Server 2012 R2 guest because of the virtualization layer.

I've read a few posts on how it's done, but I still can't seem to get my head around it. I think I have also seen people install a VIB on the vSphere hypervisor itself?

Can someone please outline the general steps or point me in the right direction on how to get OMSA working? The Dell PowerEdge server has a RAID, and we need to use OMSA to see any RAID unexpected sense errors from the controller if they are being generated. We used to have an issue with RAID consistency and have had to start over before.

There also appears to be an OMSA plugin for vCenter, but I don't think we can use vCenter because it's the free version of the vSphere hypervisor.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2014 12:00

Hello

There are a lot of articles and posts on how to install OMSA on VMware. If you are having issues then please post an explanation of what you are having issues with. Here is a post I made on the subject. It has a link to a youtube video that has step-by-step instructions:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/403141-dell-open-mange-in-vmware

There also appears to be an OMSA plugin for vCenter, but I don't think we can use vCenter because it's the free version of the vSphere hypervisor.

The OpenManage Integration for VCenter still requires the OMSA agent to be installed on the hypervisor. Correct, there is not a free version of VCenter. Any installation procedure that advises using VUM or VCenter will need to be ignored because you won't have access to those utilities.

Thanks

23 Posts

May 26th, 2014 23:00

Thanks! I was able to get it working with the links you provided.

No Events found!