Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2010 08:00

IT Assistant loses server entries

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

November 1st, 2010 17:00

Thanks for sorta-posting!  If your servers are disappearing, they might be getting moved down to Unknown when ITA does the automatic discovery at night.  If that happens, compare when auto discovery happens to your network traffic.  You should click "Discovery & Monitoring" then "Discovery Settings..." and in that menu you can slow down the discovery process or set it to the quietest time on your network.

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

November 4th, 2010 08:00

The servers are running 24/7, they go not down. The network is up all time.

The problem appears so: I updated the repository and make compliance for an updated component, b.e. the iDRAC6. Some servers are not shown although they are in the device list and I know they have an iDRAC6 with an older version of firmware. I make a new discovery and inventory for the lost servers, repeat compliance and the servers are found. I started the update, the update was successful and I let run a new inventory so that the next compliance shows the correct status. All things seem ok but when I after this repeat the compliance the server are not shown again. I make a discovery and inventory again and it appears again. This repeats several times between 15 or 20 minutes and cannot be a problem of the automatic discovery and inventory I think.

I watched the system the last days and found out that are 4 servers what make the most problems:

1. A DC (PE R710, 2008 R2) what resides in a special secured network segment where the firewall not allows dynamic ports. With this server we have problems in SCOM 2007 R2 too. Since one week SCOM cannot discover that this is a DELL server. The DELL add in is installed and other servers will found. The problem server will discovered in SCOM as a Windows server but the DELL components are invisible to SCOM.

2. 2 Servers (both PE R610, 2008 R2) with Remote Desktop Services and linked as a NLB Cluster. There are 2 other identical servers with Remote Desktop Services too but not with NLB. With this servers I have no problems.

3. A simple file server (PE 2950, 2008 R2) without any certain configuration. This is not so important cause there are no updates for this older server but it’s still curious.

All managed servers are running OMSA 6.3. The ITA server itself is not a DELL server. It’s an older HP server with Server 2008 32bit.

I’m using IE9 beta for remote access to the ITA server.

BTW: I cannot answer in this thread using IE9 beta. The empty answer I produced with IE9. Sorry. This answer is written with Firefox.

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

November 4th, 2010 17:00

I am not sure why, but my IE7 doesn't work properly on these forums either, I have to use Firefox.

It sounds like there might be a network security situation that is causing the systems to not communicate with ITA correctly.  Also, what version of ITA do you have installed?  If it is not the latest version, it might help to get that up to date.

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

November 15th, 2010 03:00

I have ITA 8.7 on Windows Server 2008 32bit with SQL 2005 Express.

At least I solved the problem by deactivating all automatic tasks. No automatic discovery, no automatic inventory. Now the server keeps the information about the servers.

The network is very complex and I have no access to the settings. Perhaps there might be a problem, but I cannot see it.

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

November 15th, 2010 16:00

It was probably too chatty on the network.  It might work if everything was set to run dead slow, and as infrequently as possible.  A complex network is often a slow network, which has been known to cause lots of issues with ITA and the automatic discovery processes.

No Events found!