Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2011 16:00

Importing Dell Repository Manager catalogs into SCUP

Dell has their SDP catalog from their FTP site that they use for the purposes of publishing their updates to SCUP, so that they can in turn be published to SCCM and distributed to servers that way. However, that particular catalog has close to 3000 updates in it, of which less than 10% of those are actually relevant in our particular situation. I’ve been trying to use the Dell Repository Manager to select only the updates I want and then create a catalog from that. I can create the catalog, but then when I try to import that into SCUP, it doesn’t accept that catalog because it is not formatted properly. Do you know if the Dell Repository Manager can create an SDP-formatted catalog that I can use with SCUP, and if so, how can I go about doing that? Or, if there’s another way I can slim down the catalog and import only the updates I need, that would be helpful to know as well. Thank you.

8 Posts

September 19th, 2011 14:00

Any reply from Dell about this?
I'm also interested.

16 Posts

September 21st, 2011 09:00

This is what Dell had to say about it when I asked them ...

“RM does not support SDP catalog format due to some technical reasons, such as digital sign a SDP catalog at runtime, how to handle re-spin DUP, etc.
As I know, the reason of Dell SDP catalog contains 3000+ updates is because that it does not only contain the new updates, but also includes obsolete/expired updates. This is mainly caused by DUP re-spin, and device team “demoted” releases from ftp.dell.com. When a DUP re-spins, Dell SDP catalog has to contains both previous DUP and the new DUP metadata. The previous DUP will be marked as “expired”. In this case, if a customer SCCM has already contains the previous DUP, then after they apply the new Dell SDP catalog, the old DUP will be replaced correctly. “

8 Posts

September 21st, 2011 10:00

"This is what Dell had to say about it when I asked them ...

“RM does not support SDP catalog format due to some technical reasons, such as digital sign a SDP catalog at runtime, how to handle re-spin DUP, etc.
As I know, the reason of Dell SDP catalog contains 3000+ updates is because that it does not only contain the new updates, but also includes obsolete/expired updates. This is mainly caused by DUP re-spin, and device team “demoted” releases from ftp.dell.com. When a DUP re-spins, Dell SDP catalog has to contains both previous DUP and the new DUP metadata. The previous DUP will be marked as “expired”. In this case, if a customer SCCM has already contains the previous DUP, then after they apply the new Dell SDP catalog, the old DUP will be replaced correctly. “
"
Thanks for the information John. So in SCCM there's no better way to categorize only the hardware update that is relevant to my environment.

1.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 08:00

The recommendation that I have heard from SCUP guru's is to import the meta-data only initially, then identify the updates that you want. This limits the churn of bits from updates that you don't need, but the obvious requirement is that you have to wade through the list of updates.

No Events found!