Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 15:00

Lifecycle Controller unable to connect to ftp.dell.com

I has been a while since I last tried to update my R720xd servers. But to today I have been battling them them trying to get the firmware update function to work.

When testing the network connection it tells me it is unable to resolve host name for ftp.dell.com. If i just press the next button it tells me invalid ip address or share name.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

October 8th, 2019 15:00

I had same issue with insult to injury that the ipv4 didn't pick up a DNS for some ridiculous reason and had to do a ping ftp.dell.com and put in the IP address with all other fields blank.

Also, some more detail, on step 1 of 3: select update repository, I selected
"Network Share(CIFS or NFS or HTTP or HTTPS Server)"

Then on next screen 2 of 3, I put in the IP address for ftp.dell.com with all other fields blank. And low and behold it worked..... THANK GOD! this is first time I've EVER had it work. Even the dell reps when I've called in keep trying to make me download the ISO file and make a friggin CD (COME ON!). I think it's so they can push you off the line.

What a PAIN!

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

December 19th, 2019 08:00

Yes, and over a year later, it's the same!

23 Posts

May 20th, 2020 16:00

been spending the last few days updating firmware. Just wanted to say that i get invalid IP errors lots of times. Sure i am on a trunk port, but um, it! im not changing that! its a nexus switch not even some crap procurve.. so get bent dell if thats the problem here!!!! and yes i am tagging the vlan correctly. esxi works fine so not a network issue.

what i found works for me, is to 1) enter lifecycle controller. 2) Immediately go to network settings. Even if you already dhcp setup, 3) go in there and then hit finish.

Then proceed to the firmware update screen and the invalid ip address message does not occur.

And i have to do that every time i update the firmware. so been doing it a few days now because i am having to do 1 firmware update at a time or it locks up at the downloading stage. And the first night I left them all on overnight, so it was not a question of not waiting long enough... this is on 3 identical servers...

2020-05-20_16h18_42.png

servers are purchased one year ago R640 's

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 21st, 2020 01:00

If you are using dell online catalog server for update, please use Dell website option or Network share HTTPS option in Lifecycle Controller UI and try with downloads.dell.com instead of ftp.dell.com

Can you also ensure latest iDRAC FW installed on the server

May 21st, 2020 09:00

I am not sure why this is selected as the solution - it is not complete. I gave the complete answer in the replies. I don't care about recognition, it's that your selected solution is causing solution seekers to jump through unnecessary hoops until they find my correct solution on page 2. Save some folks the trouble and change this thread.

15 Posts

May 27th, 2020 03:00

I am using HTTP with downloads.dell.com for the Dell T430 

I am getting the error "Incorrect repository path location. (SUP0530) retry the operation with the correct catalog repository path"

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 27th, 2020 19:00

@DakU , Can you try with latest iDRAC FW. Also try with https option (https://downloads.dell.com)

3 Posts

July 1st, 2020 11:00

Same error. The dell website option throws an error, and using HTTPS with the suggested URL does not work either. This is an issue with R640 and R740xd systems. Also, asking us to use the latest iDrac firmware when we're trying to update system firmware is a bit redundant... we can't get the firmware updates from the repository! 

23 Posts

September 18th, 2020 09:00

This is still broken when i went to update the servers again today. My work around of the below is still working fine.

what i found works for me, is to 1) enter lifecycle controller. 2) Immediately go to Settings -> network settings. Even if you already dhcp setup, 3) go in there and then hit finish.

then 4) go and use the correct ftp.dell.com to download the updates. it then goes through fine.

dell should fix this bug in idrac networking. maybe they have. there is an idrac update. i am currently on 4.10.10.10 and it wants me to update to 4.20.20.20 .

bios is also updating from 2.5.4 to 2.6.4

23 Posts

September 18th, 2020 10:00

Now after several reboots and rechecks i am at 

lifecycle controller = 4.22.00.00 Build 20

UEFI 2.7

and i STILL had to do my work around each time, after each reboot. the bug STILL is not fixed, even with latest firmwares.

September 25th, 2020 13:00

I have also been having this problem with newer versions of the LCC firmware.  I just updated a server today from ftp.dell.com in the LCC, and sure enough it was no longer able to connect to ftp.dell.com after rebooting, giving me the Invalid IP error.  After trying several options, I found the solution on this server was to simply replace "ftp.dell.com" with the IP address instead, which at the time of this posting is "143.166.135.76".

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

September 25th, 2020 13:00

Hello,

What server model were you using at the time you encountered the issue? To confirm, you experienced this on firmware 4.22.00.53, correct? I ask because I should be able to make an internal test without much difficulty.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 20th, 2020 22:00

This forum topic is hilarious.  Every answer given is wrong.  EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.  The correct answer is there is no working solution.  This is a feature that is permanently broken.  If you want a method that works, grab a SATA drive, load a temporary copy of Windows on it (at least 2008 or later), boot to it and run the update files as administrator.

• 

3.4K Posts

October 21st, 2020 01:00

Hi @Anonymous,

Well, that's another way of doing the updates. And it might not be entirely true that there is no working solution, that may depend on what issue occurred. The FTP link have been decommissioned and the online repository has changed to https://dell.to/3kj1mUB (HTTP | HTTPS).

Reference: https://dell.to/3jiVZDA

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2020 17:00

Hello @DELL-Joey C 

Thanks for the response but I'm afraid that answer is wrong too.  The support page is wrong.  I configured for https and downloads.dell.com.  The network connection test passed and it even downloaded the catalog, but the updates don't work.  I tried selecting two different updates individually and it just says Update failed and the package name.  So this too does not work.  I have the latest firmware for my iDRAC7 and the latest BIOS but that doesn't seem to make any difference.  I'll just stick with my working method.  Thanks anyway.

No Events found!