Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 13th, 2016 19:00

Multi-UPS Management Console Communication Error

I have uploaded a screenshot of the error.  Please find it attached.  Can you guys verify if that is normal or is there something wrong with our configuration or network.  Thanks

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

January 14th, 2016 11:00

Hello

It is not likely a configuration issue since it is able to establish a connection. I would start with checking to see if there are any power save features enabled on the system that has local node manager installed. If the UPS is connected via USB then check to see if the option to power off USB is enabled. If you have a NMC installed and are managing it over the network then check power save features on that connection. Also, if you have sleep or hibernate enabled on the monitoring computer that may be disrupting the connection.

Thanks

10 Posts

January 17th, 2016 01:00

I don't think it's the power save feature because that UPS is connected to another server and that server is not getting the comm error which also rules out the monitoring server as having the problem.  Perhaps it has something to do with the server being an Exchange server which has alot of traffic and somewhat disrupts the UPS node comm pings?  Is there a port where I can listen for the communication between the server and the UPS?  Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2016 11:00

I don't think it's the power save feature because that UPS is connected to another server and that server is not getting the comm error which also rules out the monitoring server as having the problem.

I am not following your logic. Maybe you could explain this again so that it makes more sense. What you stated is that the UPS is connected to a second server; However you are only receiving communication errors on one of the servers. I don't see how that rules out the monitoring server as having a problem. To the contrary, I think that makes it highly likely that the issue is local to the monitoring server. Maybe that is not what you meant to say though.

Perhaps it has something to do with the server being an Exchange server which has alot of traffic and somewhat disrupts the UPS node comm pings?  Is there a port where I can listen for the communication between the server and the UPS?

That is possible, any disruption on the network can cause time outs. ULNM uses TCP port 80 to communicate with a NMC. You can read more in the ULNM UG and NMC manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-2700r/manuals

If you still need more help then you should provide more details. The less information you provide the more assumptions someone trying to help you has to make, and that increases the number of possible issues that are theorized. Knowing more information about the exact issue and your configuration will help to narrow down and focus on the actual problem.

Thanks

10 Posts

January 18th, 2016 22:00

Here is the link to an image of how our servers are connected.  Maybe that will make my case clearer.

http://imgur.com/MLaidRO

You will see there 4 server connected to the switch where the UPS's Network Module is also connected

1 of the 4 servers is the monitoring server, while the other 3 are normal servers.  1 server out of the 3 has this comm error while the other 2 have no problem.

No Events found!