Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 10th, 2015 14:00

New to Dell, need some simple answers about management

I've just purchased my first Dell server, a T320 for my very small office.  It will be running MS SBS 2011 for data storage and on-site hosted exchange.

I've got 2 Raid arrays for boot and data on a H710 card.

I ordered the server with basic management but am currently running the idrac7 enterprise trial.  I do not think I will upgrade to the enterprise when the trial runs out as I don't really need the remote screen/control capabilities but I'm still considering it.

So, my question is this,

I'm a bit confused by all the "management" software that Dell has.

Exactly what should I be installing on my windows server?  OpenManage?  If so, what part?  Server Administrator?

On my old server I had an adaptec raid controller which gave the ability to send an email if it found a fault with one of the drives.  Does Dell have any such thing?  From my searches I've found that people are coddling together solutions to do this.  Is it built in anywhere?

Still confused by all the different pieces that I keep coming across.  Hope someone can straighten me out.  Thanks,

Roveer

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 10th, 2015 15:00

Exactly what should I be installing on my windows server?  OpenManage?  If so, what part?  Server Administrator?

Yes, OpenManage Server Administrator (Managed Node) should be installed on the server. You can configure the iDRAC to email you in the event that it detects a defined failure.

OpenManage is a suite of software and utilities. Server Administrator is the server management software and agent. OpenManage Essentials can manage many servers centrally. If you have questions about specific pieces, let us know.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

August 11th, 2015 21:00

You can configure iDRAC to send notifications (E-Mail, SNMP, Syslog etc.) for information, warning and Failure events. This includes various components like storage, System component etc. Refer below link with more details on this feature.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20290631

No Events found!