Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 24th, 2012 16:00

OMCI 8.1 doesn't report to OME 1.0 without SNMP

I have run OMCI in the past, got away from using it, and now am coming back, but I can't seem to get reporting from OMCI to work unless I turn on SNMP on the workstation. Is SNMP a requirement for proper reporting to OME?

Background

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 (BIOS A32) running Win7 Ultimate x64. I'm running the Sys-Man-Application_NN71R_WN_8.1.0_A00.EXE installer as Administrator and then selecting the Typical installation type, which I believe is the "Standards-based Instrumentation" feature installation. Installation runs through successfully and an examination of the installation log file confirms that. There is no reboot requested.

On the server side I am running OME, and have set up the discovery configuration on the subnet to use WMI and later included WS-Man credentials with a network/workstation administrator user account. Servers running Open Manage Managed Node are discovered properly, as are other network component. On the Latitude I read only the barest of information:

• Connection status
  • Device name
  • IP4 address

I discovered that if I add SNMP service and the community name then I retrieve the full slate of information from the Latitiude. But the question is if this is an intended requirement of the OMCI?

One troubleshooting step that I took was to interrogate the Latitude from the server using MS WMI CIM Studio. I do find data in the \root\DCIM\SYSMAN class, but I don't think there is the level detail we should find. For instance, I'm not able to locate the Latitude's service tag number. That data does come up when using SNMP.

Any ideas on how to optimize the use of OMCI using just WMI queries?

• 

8.8K Posts

July 24th, 2012 17:00

Grats,

OME is an enterprise tool and isn't designed to be compatible with OMCI (which is client based). It isn't supported at this time.

You can actually follow this link and click on Supported Agents and see it isn't listed - support.dell.com/.../matrix.pdf

1 Message

August 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Sorry to jump on the tread here but in Grats defence on OMCI wiki page it says to use ITA. When going to ITA's page it says it's being replaced and improved by OME (en.community.dell.com/.../1762.aspx).

So if not OME what do we use?

No Events found!