Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2010 16:00

OMCI 8 version of "DisableAlertMessages.vbs" required

I have attempted to convert the omci 7.x SampleDisableAlertMessages.vbs to omci 8 without much luck. I realize the change by Dell to completely new OMCI version is driven by the DMTF industry standards. But, as someone who has managed a very large fleet with OMCI, I submit the designers may not have thought through the confusion that was bound to ensue among loyal users when methods and names are changed suddenly without simultaneously publishing all the new versions of the required scripts. "ServiceTag" has suddenly become "Tag", "AssetTag" has become "elementName".

Because of the new VBScript methods employed in the omci 8, one is forced to blend the VBScripts directly into VB.NET with the attendant late binding consequence. With omci 7 I was able to completely convert the VBScripts to VB.NET System.Management methods.

2 Posts

March 4th, 2011 12:00

I am struggling wiht the same issue. Converting current OMCI 7 scripts to OMCI 8. We have written quite a few scripts that we will have to change to take advantage of the new release, however we are having problems determining what the new classes are. Is there an unpublished cheat sheet somewhere? Quite confusing too - for to read a property use Bios_Enumeration, to write to it, use Bios_Service??

12 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 10:00

I feel the same pain. Trying to get the new RemoteBIOSUpdate command to work in the DCIM_BIOSService class. The published documentation is clearly out of date since a new instance of the InParms shows it also needs the AuthenticationToken (admin password for BIOS changes). Yet even when supplied... this method continues to throw: "invalid method parameters". =(

1.1K Posts

March 27th, 2011 22:00

send me an email at warren_byle@dell.com for a beta copy of the OMCI 7x to 8.x cross reference. It may help with some of the conversion challenges you are facing.

Thanks,

Warren

12 Posts

March 28th, 2011 05:00

Thanks, Warren. I have e-mailed you.

Not sure it will help in my case, though. My example script is here:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/4524750/OMCI+8+-+DCIM_BIOSService.RemoteBIOSUpdate

It is worth noting that for all of the 7.X sample scripts that were converted to 8 and provided by the OMCI team... the Remote BIOS Update was notably absent in the list of converted scripts.

If I don't end up with a functioning answer on this one... I suppose it will be OK, since there are staff on our helpdesk that can run around to individual machines to run BIOS updates... and we can, at least, read the version of the BIOS that is on each machine, so we know where we need to go. I would just like to make it more automatic if I could.
No Events found!