Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 4th, 2016 12:00

OMSA 7.4 in ESXi 5.5 stopped working...

I have ESXi 5.5 U2 installed on a Dell PowerEdge R710.  I had only installed those VIB thing to make OMSA 7.4 work.  Well, it was working at the beginning, but I noticed that OMSA is not responding anymore more than half a year ago.

This is a production server so I can't reboot it at will.  Today, I tried to dig into this matter to see if I can make OMSA work again without reboot.

Let me skip other things and let's jump to the point where I'm stuck.  I know that I have to run "dataeng restart" command inside an SSH session.  But I got the following message:

grep: /etc/cim/dell/srvadmin/srvadmin-omilcore/install.ini: No such file or directory
Stopping Systems Management Data Engine:
Stopping dsm_sa_snmpd: Not started          FAILED
Stopping dsm_sa_eventmgrd: Not started      FAILED
Stopping dsm_sa_datamgrd: Not started       FAILED
Starting Systems Management Data Engine:
Starting dsm_sa_datamgrd: /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/dataeng: line 1397: /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_datamgrd: not found
                                            FAILED
Starting dsm_sa_eventmgrd: /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/dataeng: line 1397: /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_eventmgrd: not found
                                            FAILED
Starting dsm_sa_snmpd: /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/dataeng: line 1397: /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_snmpd: not found
                                            FAILED

So, it's telling me that a lot of files are not found!?  I don't understand: I'm the only one to install OMSA (I'm the only admin) and I didn't remove any important files.  Where have they gone?

Anyone has a similar problem?  Let me repeat my environment:

* Dell PE R710

* ESXi 5.5 U2

* OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-7.4.0-876.VIB-ESX55i_A00.zip <-- This is the VIB bundle I used.

Anyway to restart OMSA without rebooting the server?

45 Posts

August 11th, 2016 13:00

I've just found that the command "dataeng status" always give the error message saying that the services are stopped but OMSA is working perfectly!

I could imagine the error message I got earlier in my previous message was also a FALSE NEGATIVE.

If "dataeng" is not doing anything constructive, it would be better remove it altogether from the VIB package.

No Events found!