Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2013 03:00

OMSA and PERC

Hi

I have a Dell PE 2850, running Ubuntu 12.10 which is ok. I have installed OMSA which is great except that it can't see the PERC controller, under storage it says "No Storage Controllers Detected"

If I use webmin to look at the server it detects that the server has a MegaRAID LD 0 RAID5 279G so Ubuntu appears to have seen the PERC card ?

Nigel

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 30th, 2013 08:00

Is your PERC firmware and driver up to date?  If not, OMSA may not be able to properly communicate with it.  I don't know about Linux, but on Windows, the default installation of OMSA will disable Storage Management if the drivers/firmware is out of date; you can force it to install, but if really old, it will do just as you describe - "no storage controllers detected".

7 Posts

March 31st, 2013 14:00

Hi - OK ,yes my firmware is old 2005, so need to upgrade. once upgraded is it best to reinstall OSMA or will it then detect it ?

I have tried creating a floppy to flash it but it took me a while to find a drive to create the disk and then when booting I get media failure Abort Retry Fail.

As I have ubuntu installed is there a better way to upgrade the firmware ?

Thanks

7 Posts

March 31st, 2013 15:00

HI

OK, will try the DVD's, do you happen to know if the 2850 DVD drive is happy with DVD +r 's ?

Thx

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I've never paid much attention, but I'd imagine over the years I've had both ... I've never had an issue making me look into it. It should be fine.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

OMSA "should" just start working, but I've seen it necessary on occasion to reinstall.

Sounds like a bad floppy disk/drive to me.  You could try a full format on the disk before attempting again, or ...

You can try the Linux packages of the updates (designed for RHEL, so I'm not sure if they'll work in Ubuntu or not), or ...

You can use Dell's update utilities.  First, boot to SBUU, choose Update Firmware, then when prompted for the repository for updates, insert the SUU DVD.

SBUU:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-2850

SUU:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-2850

If you update them individually, you should update the BIOS and ESM before updating the PERC firmware.

No Events found!