Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2013 08:00

OMSA connection

Hello, I have not really been able to find the  answer to basic question. I installed OSMA 7.2 on one of my r610 servers. I'm able to connect to it when clicking on the server administrator icon. Now , if I want to connect to it from another machine can I just put the https://server ip:1311 and connect to it? I can't seem to login using root:calvin. also, what's the benefit of OMSA vs IDRAC6? From looking at it , it seems you can do a lot more with OMSA. I'd like to set things up where if there are hardware issue, it emails me. Is that done using OMSA? The main thing now is I can get to OMSA from my desktop browser(client) but keeps saying login failed with root "calvin"

30 Posts

March 20th, 2013 11:00

I have idrac working with root calvin but and OMSA works when I changed IE setting to automatically login with windows credentials. What I'm trying now is to point to the OMSA from a client and not having any luck using active directory login(or root, calvin). if I check active directory login do I need to specify \user in he username field?

Please try with your operating system user name and password (instead on root\calvin)

30 Posts

anyone?

30 Posts

I got it thank you both,,,

30 Posts

OK..Thanks. But I'm Don't plan on using OME, I just want to use OMSA and I'm having trouble connecting to it from another computer. Should I be able to login when I visit the OMSA url :1311 using root and calvin?

Hi, I am not an OMSA expert but can give some direction.

Yes, you should be able to connect to the iDRAC using https://idrac_ip

Perhaps your root/calvin login creds changed when you setup OMSA? Can you check in OMSA what the creds are since that seems to work?

OMSA was created to help manage multiple servers. An iDRAC's IP is specific to one individual server.

iDRAC 6 and 7, ship with all PowerEdge 11th and 12th generations, respectively.

iDRAC helps enable OMSA to perform its managing tasks. For example, you can deploy an OS to a server using OMSA or directly with the iDRAC.

www.delltechcenter.com/omsa

www.delltechcenter.com/idrac

Hope this helps.

Steve

615 Posts

iDRAC6 will give you out of band reboot control and if it is an enterprise drac card then you get out of band console and virtual media as well. HUGE benefit IMHO :)

OMSA on the 11Gen does give you access to a lot more data over drac.

I use the drac to send snmp trap alerts to my OME server and then have OME evaluate and send critical alerts as emails to my support desk.

No Events found!