Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2008 06:00

OpenManage Server Administrator on Windows Server 2003 R2

Hi: When I install the Dell OM Server Administrator on a Windows 2003 R2 system, one of the "Informational Messages" that appears before the install indicates that the built-in Hardware Management tools available with Server 2003 R2 is not installed. However, if I go to install the tools (the IPMI drivers), it says I have to remove any other IPMI driver first. If I have used the Dell system setup disk to install Server 2003 R2, are any Dell IPMI drivers installed, or can I safely ignore this warning? Thanks

342 Posts

November 17th, 2008 08:00

I tend to ignore the "informational messages" as it tends to throw out so many of them, however, I do make a mental note of the ones it gave. If I encounter a real problem, then I look back and determine if one of those messages made sense with the problem I am encountering.

If you used the latest Dell Setup disk to install the system, you should be good to go.

1 Message

November 10th, 2009 09:00

"I tend to ignore the "informational messages" as it tends to throw out so many of them, however, I do make a mental note of the ones it gave. If I encounter a real problem, then I look back and determine if one of those messages made sense with the problem I am encountering.

If you used the latest Dell Setup disk to install the system, you should be good to go. "
Your response doesn't answer the question at all. Could you please actually answer the question. I know this is an old post and I have no idea what happened to mr hester but I am in the same exact situation as he was. What "should" we do. Should we ignore the message from Microsoft? and install the R2 IPMI anyway and cross our fingers? Or should we ignore the information from Dell openmanage Documentation? Specifically the Dell Openmanage "Installation and Security User's Guide" say's

"For Server Administrator, it is recommended that you use the Windows Server 2003 R2 IPMI driver instead of the internal IPMI support. If your system is running Windows Server 2003 R2 or Windows Storage Server R2, it is recommended that after you install or upgrade Server Administrator, you also install the optional Hardware Management component of R2."

Also nowhere is any information to determine which IPMI driver is installed in bios already .

So which is it?
and please be clear so I can procede.

Thanks in advance.

Mr John Bravo
No Events found!