Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2011 11:00

OpenManage causes network not to come up on startup

PowerEdge T300, Server 2008 (x64)

We added two drives to our server and in an attempt to aviod restarting, I installed the OpenManage software to allow us to provision them as a new RAID1 array.

I did the installation over remote desktop and when it got to "starting services" the server's network connection dropped.  We could not access the server over the network at all. Someone in the office did a hard restart (instead of trying to log in on the console), and when the server came back up, the network was still not accessible.. Someone logged in on the console, opened the network connection properties IPv4 properties and clicked apply and it started working again.. We were hoping that it was a one time issue, but we restarted twice since than and each time the network would not come up.

Is there some component of OpenManage that would cause this problem? My boss does not want me to remove it until we actually try to figure out what the problem is.

Any other ideas of what to look at? The fact that it first happened during the OpenManage installation points to it being the problem, but I can't be 100% sure.

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

November 9th, 2011 15:00

If you have a Broadcom NIC firmware that is very old, this will sometimes happen.  Update the NIC firmware and drivers, then your network connection should be restored.

1 Message

November 7th, 2014 13:00

Had the same issue on 3 different R300s. (R300 \ Win 2008R2 \ OMSA 7.4) I think it's limited to specific hardware used on R300/T300 models.

THE FIX:

In msconfig disable all 4 DSM SA services - Reboot

Uninstall OMSA 7.4 - Reboot

Install OMSA 6.4 (one that most likely came with the server)

Worked like a charm. If having problems uninstalling OMSA 7.4 like I did, use OMClean.exe utility found on OMSA DVD.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Installing OMSA on hundreds of systems, I've never seen this particular issue, so I doubt it is a "known" issue that could be easily fixed by changing a setting or parameter.  Something may have simply gone "wrong" during the install - if it is indeed the cause (although I admit, the timing is suspect).

I think I would try to uninstall - see if it is fixed or persists - then reinstall as a test.

You might also try to simply repair it by running CHKDSK /R and SFC /SCANNOW.

You might wait a bit to see if someone has seen the issue before - I think I would have seen it by now, but maybe I'm lucky :)

Make sure you installed the latest version available for the T300.

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

I agree with Flash, sounds like a bad install, and a hard reset never helps the system :(

27 Posts

November 9th, 2011 17:00

I will install the updated firmware (released just last week) and drivers when I am at the console (and not over remote desktop) and post back here with the results.

June 10th, 2014 14:00

Im seeing this exact problem now

updating the drivers didnt help

the firmware from dell site complains of not a valid 32 bit application

ill try removing OMSA

June 19th, 2014 09:00

where did my post go!!!

June 19th, 2014 09:00

I'm having the same issue:

DELL R300 windows 2008 R2   installed OMSA 7.3 64 bit as soon as i installed OMSA starting having NIC connectivity issues issues that required enable/disable NIC or restarting server to get the NIC back. 

Now if you go into device manager and properties on the NIC i did notice the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option and it was checked i unchecked the option. My thought is during the install OMSA kicked off this option or something with power settings...

i will report back after a couple hours. because usually what happens is after a couple hours the NIC disconnects... like i said this started as soon as i installed open manage.  this is a data center environment....

27 Posts

November 7th, 2014 11:00

did you ever figure out the issue/fix? Having same problem.

No, we removed OpenManage and it started working again. Those servers will hopefully be decommissioned soon, but in the mean time, they are too critical to play with.

1 Message

November 7th, 2014 11:00

did you ever figure out the issue/fix? Having same problem.

1 Message

December 1st, 2016 12:00

I'm coming late to this party, but I can confirm this solution with another PowerEdge T300 and various versions of Dell OpenManage.  I upgraded the firmware (3.x) to 7.6.15 and no longer had this issue.

No Events found!