Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 9th, 2008 11:00

PE 1600SC Server Administrator hangs on install

Hello,

I have a PE 1600SC that I'm doing a fresh install on.  I've used a Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation DVD (Version 5.4) to perform the install of Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2.  The install of Windows goes fine.  When I try to install the Server Administrator, the installation locks up the server when it tries to start the services.  After hitting reset, the server locks on boot up as well .  I have to either use the "Last Known Good Configuration" or enter Safe Mode and disable all the OpenManage services to get back to a functioning system.

I've been able to confirm that the specific service that locks up the machine is the "DSM SA Data Manager service".

I have also tried the following, all with the same problem:

• Using an older Dell OpenManage Server Assistant CD (Version 8.2) to perform the install
  • Using Windows Server 2003 Standard (Not R2 & No service pack)
  • Using a Custom install and deselecting all but the web server
  • Updated the BIOS and the PERC Firmware to the latest

I'm using the version of Server Administrator that comes on the Systems Management Tools and Documentation DVD.  I believe it is 5.4.0.  I've also tried installing the patch (5.4.1) as well. (I have not tried an older version of Server Administrator yet)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jeff

3 Posts

October 9th, 2008 17:00

Just wanted to post followup...

Tried installing Server Administrator v4.5.0 and experienced the same lockup when it tries to start the services.

Is it possible that when I upgraded either the BIOS or the RAID firmware that Server Administrator is now having a problem?

Message Edited by TheITDude on 10-09-2008 02:20 PM

3 Posts

October 10th, 2008 18:00

Downgraded both the BIOS and the RAID firmware to the oldest version available on Dell's website.  Still exhibiting the same problem.  Everything passes the diagnostics, so I'm completely stumped.  I guess for now, I'll try to find Array Manager so that I can at least monitor the RAID array.  But, I guess I won't know about the temperatures and voltages.
No Events found!