Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2013 03:00

PowerEdge R520, Windows Server 2012, RAID Partitions

Hoping someone here can shed some light on my problem.

We have bought a new PowerEdge R520 with 4x 3TB drives.  We want to install Windows Server 2012 on the server, ideally creating a single RAID5 virtual disk, with partitions of approx 200GB (open to recommendations here) for the Windows installation (C: drive) and the rest for data (D: drive, approx 7.8TB).

The problem I get is that when I work through the OpenManage System Builder CD/DVD and install Windows Server 2012, it gets to the stage where it asks which disk I want to install to, but it already seems to have split the disk into a 2TB and 6TB partitions (which would lose me 1.8TB on my data disk).

Am I doing something wrong?  Can I do what I want to do with a simple straightforward install?

More info:

Using the System Builder I created a single RAID5 virtual drive using all the disk and this shows up correctly at just under 9TB.  And nowhere do I manually set any partitions up.

I'm aware I could probably create two virtual disk at the setting up RAID stage - a small virtual disk (of about 200GB) and the rest of the space as a second virtual drive.  But I was hoping a single virtual disk with 2 partitions would be more flexible allowing me to use diskpart to re-size if necessary.

I downloaded the latest OpenManage CD/DVD so that I had the option of selecting Windows Server 2012 (though from what I've read I could have just selected Windows Server 2008)

This is the first time I've setup a server with UEFI and I'm not sure if this is part of the issue.

87 Posts

February 6th, 2013 08:00

I did not understand the issue very clearly. I will provide the steps below on how to use SBUU for installing Windows Server 2012: 1) Create a RAID(any level) from Controller BIOS. If multiple RAIDs are created, you need to make one as a Boot VD. 2) Boot to SBUU using OpenManage DVD. 3) Once SBUU boot is completed, please select Configur Server OS Installation. 4) Follow the screens, and select Windows Server 2012. 5) On RAID page, by default Retain RAID option will be selected, do not change that and continue. 6) At final, click Apply Now. 7) The progress bar indication starts, once 100% is done, SBUU restarts the server, and continues to Hard Disk(if Hard disk is made as the 1st boot, else, you need to select it manually through F11). 8) Once Windows install starts, you will be prompted to insert a valid Windows Media. Insert valid windows media and proceed and follow the on-screen instructions. 9) At one place it asks to select the drive on where to install the OS. It will be be the RAID size you have created. Select the appropriate drive(unallocated space) and continue with the install. Please follow the above steps, and let me know if this works. Thanks, SashiKiran

2 Posts

March 8th, 2013 00:00

I have used the RAID controller to create a 200GB virtual disk, and then created a second virtual disk with the remaining space, seems to have sorted the issue

2 Posts

March 8th, 2013 00:00

Hi, this doesn't resolve the issue, its during the Windows Server 2012 install wizard, you create the 200GB partition and then the system prompts to say an addition partition is required for the O/S to boot etc..., after this is set, the remaining un-allocated space is split in 2 sections, 1x 1.8TB and a 1x 7TB approx, we are using 6x 2TB disks.

If i re-initialise the raise it goes back to the full 9TB raid size until i try the 200GB partition again.

87 Posts

March 8th, 2013 01:00

This looks like an issue with Windows install wizard. I haved asked Windows team to look in to this.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2013 01:00

“Can I do what I want to do with a simple straightforward install?” yes, acctually, it's not that complicate. I 'm using AOMEI Backupper and Partition Assistant now, you can easily make partitions and backups.

read this one

www.disk-partition.com/.../how-to-partition-windows-server-free.html

1 Message

July 10th, 2013 14:00

I just went through the same thing with a brand new R420. The issue comes up when you select "ALL" when entering the quantity of disks. If you select the actual physical number of disks, it will create one large partition, rather than two split partitions.

87 Posts

July 12th, 2013 04:00

From Systems Build Update Utility deploying the OS, the RAID configured will be treated as an entire single partition. Systems Build Update Utility does not give an option to create multiple partitions. If you want to create multiple partitions, you may use the feature which OS CD/DVD provides.

1 Message

March 19th, 2014 12:00

I think the above post is referencing that you create a Virtual Disk on the Controller at 200GB, then a second Virtual Disk on the controller including the remaining disk space.  I am going to test this out now.

Sam

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 10:00

We ran into the same problem with R420. Just create the RAID first and then create separate virtual disks of desired sizes from the Perc controller. Once you boot from Windows Server DVD/Image, you will now see all the correct partition sizes that you created as virtual disks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2014 02:00

may be help

insert the OS DISK , use the UEFI boot,boot load the CD-ROM, on intall page, selcet the "repair computer" , choose "CMD" , 

command list:

diskpart

list disk

select disk

clean

convert gpt

create partition efi size=100

create partition msr size=128

create partition primary size=

create partition primary size=

when compelete, reboot, boot load the CD-ROM, on intall page, select intall now, step by step

No Events found!