Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2003 22:00

Questions about ITA

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.  I'm familiar with OpenManage, but the IT Assistant is new to me.  I have a few questions for anyone that may be able to help.

1) Does the ITA have tobe installed on Dell hardware?  This may sound stupid, but my admin workstation isn't a Dell.

2) What are the most compelling reasons to use it?  I've had a hard time finding good info on the features.  Any URLs would be appreciated.

3) Does anyone use / is it possible / reasonable (meaning works reliably) to use the ITA via a VPN or over the internet?

John

20 Posts

December 5th, 2003 12:00

1) ITA does not check which hardware it's being installed on. You can install it on anything. Whether Dell will support you on non-Dell hardware is another issue....

2) It allows central management of 1500+ managed nodes. It may not be as feature rich as commercially available top-end management products, but it's cheaper - and it works.

3) Sorry - haven't tried. You would need to make sure UDP packets, pings, DCOM (and others) can all get through your routers and firewalls.

There's quite a lot of info here:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/openmanage_papers?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

Message Edited by Nervion on 12-05-2003 08:19 AM

No Events found!