Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2012 03:00

R810 BIOS to 2.7.0 - NO BUNDLE!!!!

Hi,

yesterday i was contacted by a DELL representative stating to ASAP update all my R810s to the very latest BIOS Version 2.7.0 because if i won´t, data loss may occur.

Wow, that´s a hell of a statement.

Thus, i activated my recently purchased dell vcenter plugin 1.5 and did a scan on all of my r810s. We run ESXi on all of these machines. 

Now surprise surprise, the online bundle still shows BIOS 2.4.4 as the very latest available.

What now? WHEN will the latest bundle be available???

Best regards,
Joerg

May 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi Joerg,

I appreciate your responsiveness to our update recommendation. The bundles are updated approximately quarterly to provide a baseline for change management and therefore do not contain specific components updated in the interim. I am researching alternate means of accomplishing this update and hope to have more information for you tomorrow.

Regards,

Jonathan

May 15th, 2012 15:00

Joerg,

There is a small ISO I can provide to you which will enable you to boot a server and apply the R810 BIOS 2.7.0 update automatically and can be initiated via iDRAC virtual media, if that would be effective for you. I will contact you via the email listed in your profile with specific instructions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

May 18th, 2012 09:00

the bios is available, but using the USC doesnt see it because its not in the catalog. One can download the WINDOWS update package, place it on a USB key or network share, then use the USC to perform the update and point the USC to the location of the USC package. There is a video at this location for using the USB method, and the network share is very similar. en.community.dell.com/.../updates-using-usb-with-lifecycle-controller.aspx

1 Message

May 18th, 2012 09:00

I received the same phone call yesterday, why would they call and claim the update is critical if they don't even have it available...

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

May 18th, 2012 14:00

From the important information section on the download page:

This BIOS release resolves the potential for unpredictable system behavior in Dell systems running Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E7-2800/4800/8800 Series.  For systems running Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E7-2800/4800/8800 Series, Dell strongly recommends applying this critical update as soon as possible.

Systems updated with this version of BIOS or newer and running Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E7-2800/4800/8800 Series will be blocked from flashing to BIOS versions earlier than 2.7.0.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2012 14:00

Does anyone know specifically what this update resolves?   The statement "potential for unpredictable system behavior" isn't very clear.

127 Posts

May 18th, 2012 15:00

Update/Follow-Up: I manually flashed some of our R810s to Bios 2.7.0 using a special ISO and guess what. With the DELL vCenter Plugin from that moment on you can´t no longer even start the update bios wizard. The plugin says BIOS-Firmware and iDrac or Lifecycle Controller BIOS are out of sync or something like that. That´s why they recommend to update the BIOS, iDrac and Lifecycle controller as ONE BUNDLE everytime. NOW the big question would be: Why in the world is DELL not releasing these bundles ASAP as soon as any critical update of the BIOS becomes available?

This time as a user of DELL vCenter Plugin you have no chance but to update the BIOS manually and find yourself with a non working bios update wizard after that stunt. And the DELL guy on the phone was VERY CLEAR about to update ASAP to 2.7.0. 

1 Message

May 21st, 2012 12:00

Jonathan, could you please provide me with a link to that ISO image as well? Thanks

1 Message

May 22nd, 2012 09:00

Hi Jonathan,

Could you please provide me with this iso so that I may update my servers as well?  I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

No Events found!