Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 06:00

Reset lost iDRAC9 password

Hello,

We have several R740s with iDRAC 9 that we were accessing with expired passwords (expired on our password management), so I decided to change them to 32 alphanumeric characters today. The problem is, I can't access them anymore (even though I got the edit success window on all of them). Could someone please tell me if it is possible to reset them to default passwords without losing configuration?

thank you,

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 2nd, 2021 07:00

You can try below 2 method to reset iDRAC Local user password

• Local Racadm - In this method you can install racadm SW on the server operating system and run below racadm command to set the password 

racadm set idrac.users.4.Password

• iDRAC Setting Utility - For this method you can reboot the server and go to F2 -> iDRAC Settings -> User Management page where you get an option to reset user root password.

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 07:00

Thank you for your quick reply.

Is there another solution please? Because I cannot install the racadm package on the servers (the 3 Dells host ESXis) and I cannot restart them until next month because they are all production servers.

I forgot to mention that one of the iDRACs is located on a remote server (in another country) which we cannot access due to the pandemic situation :/.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 2nd, 2021 08:00

What version of ESXi you have on the server. There is racadm SW available for ESXi also. You can check the same from below link. Type "iDRAC Tool" as keyword and choose the ESXi operating system from the dropdown.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/poweredge-r740/drivers 

3 Posts

March 4th, 2021 02:00

I have ESXi 7.0 (The latest build version), I will check your solution this weekend.

Thank you a lot.

January 18th, 2023 23:00

This step need to reboot server?

• Local Racadm - In this method you can install racadm SW on the server operating system and run below racadm command to set the password 

racadm set idrac.users.4.Password

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 19th, 2023 01:00

No. this command does not need reboot of the server

1 Message

January 19th, 2023 10:00

Hello i'm trying to reset the password with this command you posted but :

IMPORTANT NOTE!
The RAC is unable to communicate with the BMC. This condition may
occur because of (1) no BMC is present, (2) missing or disfunctional
IPMI-related software components. Many RAC features depend on BMC
connectivity in order to work properly, and you may see failures
as a result.
ERROR: RACADM is unable to process the requested subcommand because there is no
local RAC configuration to communicate with.

Local RACADM subcommand execution requires the following:

1. A Remote Access Controller (RAC) must be present on the managed server
2. Appropriate managed node software must be installed and running on the
server

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 19th, 2023 18:00

Can you share Server Model and iDRAC FW installed on the server? Are you able to access iDRAC using GUI and able to see iDRAC login page?

No Events found!