Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GB

June 26th, 2003 13:00

SNMP setup parameters

Does OM Admin/agents use the W2K SNMP service community and trap destination settings as I cannot see anywhen in server admin to set them.

June 30th, 2003 03:00

Yes it does, but you have to specify the community name in IT Assistant (assuming you have changed it from public).  You should also make sure that on the server, you have given it Read/Write access to the community name.

6 Posts

July 1st, 2003 17:00

Hi,

I would recommend that you do not use the default string of Public set to read/write, as it is a security concern. A better suggestion would be to pick an obscure string and set that to read/write. This practice would remove the well-known exploitation point of the public community.

The current incarnation of SNMP is very insecure by nature. It is equivalent to assigning a blank password, something you probably wouldn't want to do.

Regards,

Rocky

10 Posts

July 10th, 2003 17:00

In an Active Directory domain we'd like to use 2 community names. One read only for monitoring groups and one read/write for admins. Has anyone determined the best way to set these? Scripts, policy, ? We don't want to overwrite what may already be there unless it is set to public but add to it.

Thanks,

Charlie

March 1st, 2004 19:00

How do I change / specify the community name in IT Assistant?
No Events found!