Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2015 07:00

SUU updates fail with "Incorrect function"

I'm trying to update a PowerEdge T310 running SBS 2008 with SUU. I've done this on several other servers and never ran into this problem. When I tell SUU to perform the updates after picking the ones I want from the scan, I get an Update Error that says "An error occurred during the update. Please refer to the support log and update log files located in C:\dell\suu for more information. Message Details: Incorrect function."

I went to that folder and found invcolError.log and invcolOutput.log but since they appear to be xml type documents I can't make much sense out of them in Notepad and they won't open in IE.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 13:00

Hello

The incorrect function error typically occurs when you are using the wrong version of the SUU for your operating system. Make sure that you use the 32 bit version for a 32 bit OS and 64 for 64. The 32 bit version incorrectly states in the description that it will work for both 32 and 64 bit operating systems. Some of the installer packages are not 64 bit compatible.

Thanks

November 20th, 2015 15:00

The server OS is 64-bit. I put the server's service tag and OS and the Dell support site showed me the list of all the software for it. The SUU I downloaded was the only one listed. It was a 32-bit one. Dunno why they would list 32-bit software for a 64-bit OS if it wouldn't work.

I can download it again, don't know what else to do.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 15:00

I can download it again, don't know what else to do.

Don't download the same file. Download the 64 bit version:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4FR35

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 16:00

The 64-bit version doesn't list the T310 as a compatible system.

I'm not able to locate a 64 bit version for older systems. The 32 bit versions for older systems should work. I don't think we released 64 bit versions of the SUU for anything except 12g and later.

Make sure that the WoW feature is enabled. The easiest way to check is to open powershell or command prompt and type this:

dism /online /get-features >features.txt

The >features.txt is optional. It will output the response into a text file named features in the current working directory. You can then open that file and use the find feature to search for WoW. I find that method of searching much easier and faster than scrolling through them all in CMD.

Thanks

November 20th, 2015 16:00

The 64-bit version doesn't list the T310 as a compatible system.

November 23rd, 2015 20:00

Unfortunately Server 2008 doesn't include DISM so I can't run that command.

No Events found!