Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

July 6th, 2020 06:00

Unable to update OS on Dell R515 and R905 servers

I have several Dell servers (R515 and R905) that are running Windows Server 2008r2 Datacenter that I want to update to current versions of Windows.  I have tried the Windows 2012R2 update and after several reboots it reports a failure and resets it back to Server 2008R2.  Support forums mentions something about a LifeCycle Controller menu but I can't find that anywhere on any of my servers.  Is there some software I am missing or maybe a special program to install Windows on a Raid controller?  Thanks!  Brian

• 

8.8K Posts

July 6th, 2020 11:00

BrianLakeshorePS,

I am showing that 2012R2 is indeed supported, so it should install. Would you do me a favor and let me know the specific error you're seeing when trying to install?

The support forum is likely referring to installing the OS via the Lifecycle Controller, which you access by hitting F10 at the Dell splash screen, which you see right after starting the server. 

Let me know what you see.

July 6th, 2020 18:00

The error I get is

This version of Windows could not be installed.
Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online to see if it is compatible with your computer.
Are these servers compatible with Windows server 2019?  I am only able to find some old install log files from 2014.  Where does windows put the log files from the latest install try?

• 

3.4K Posts

July 7th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

Has the servers' firmware and BIOS being updated to the latest? 

The servers are not validated with Windows Server 2019.

For logs files on installation, not too sure if this article helps: https://dell.to/3iCO5py

No Events found!