This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2013 11:00

Update Dell PE R720 Fully

We  have  a new dell R720 
I need to install xenserver 6.1 on it.

However before that i need to fully update the firmware on the dell box

I searched online and found that there is a ISO that we can download to update the firmware

ftp.dell.com/secure//FOLDER01087307M/1/cdu_2.2_core_702.iso

But when i boot the server using this ISO , it gives me an option to update firmware and install OS.

I though it will automatically update the firmware for all devices on the Dell Box and then prompt me for XenServer CD

>On the Dell Systems Build and Update Utility Home screen, click Firmware Update on the left pane.

>The Repository Selection screen is displayed.

>Specify the location where the update files repository resides

I am not sure which updated i need to download for R720 and where to save them .

I thought when i downloaded the cdu_2.2_core_702.iso it will auto update everything.

Could anyone please help me to know what all i need to download to fully update the new Dell R720 server

I thought this will be something like HP smart CD .

• 

8.8K Posts

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Kitaab,

What you need to do is boot to the BUU (Build and Update Utility) then when you arrive at the main menu insert the SUU (Server Update Utility) disk and select the firmware update from the menu.

SUU- www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r720

That will provide the repository for you and update the server.

Let me know how it goes.

February 27th, 2013 20:00

Kitaab,

You can use Unified Server Configurator(USC) for updating your firmware for all component in one shot. USC can be launched by pressing F10 during system boot. Once USC GUI launches, follow the below steps.

1) Traverse to Firmware Update --> Launch Firmware Update

2) Select FTP Server

3) In FTP Server Settings, enter "ftp.dell.com" in Address field and click Next.

A comparison table would be displayed showing all in system components with Current and latest Available firmware. Select component(s) for which you would like to update firmware and click Apply. That should do the job.

Also Unified Server Configurator can help you in deploying XenServer 6.1 using OS Deployment feature. A very simple proceedure for deploying OS.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Balaji

10 Posts

February 28th, 2013 01:00

Thanks Balaji,

i am trying the way you suggested.

After step 3  It shows me :

It has been there for 2 hours now.

How much time does it take ??

Any idea , as nothing else responds.

10 Posts

February 28th, 2013 01:00

I am downloading the ISO file you suggested as well. it is a giant 5.6 download.

February 28th, 2013 03:00

The download time depends upon the network speed. Were you able to see comparison table?

Regards,

Balalji

10 Posts

February 28th, 2013 05:00

It couldnt ping the proxy for some reason, i had mentioned the proxy details and credentials.

I then downloaded the ISO from

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r720

And updated using that.

I hope it was right to do

I then deployed Citrix xenserver 6.1 on it The option it gave on only for xenserver 6.0 though

1 Message

December 30th, 2013 06:00

Thank you, this worked great for me

No Events found!