Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2018 08:00

Update Firmware with Lifecycle Controller 14G servers

After about 2 hours of trying to get the necessary updates on this new 14G server out of the box, I finally pieced all the incorrect information together and found the working solution. I hope to save someone else the pain and time I experienced by sharing the working solution.

Here is what you need to know:

1. When you set the network settings for the Lifecycle Controller, I could not get the IPV6 to work with Static or DHCP. It will error. Here is what I figured out - just set the IPV4 and leave the IPV6 however you want. Once you hit NEXT, it will check the configuration and give you an error for IPV6 -BUT- it also has already saved the IPV4 settings so now just hit CANCEL. You now have a working IPV4 connection.

2. When you proceed to the Firmware Updates, the Lifecycle Controller will pre-fill the address with downloads.dell.com which you will think would be right, it's not and it won't work. Fill in the old familiar "ftp.dell.com" and forget about all the other fields. That's all you need.

September 25th, 2020 14:00

Amazing that 2+ years later, this is still the workaround fix for this. I get replies on another thread with the incorrect solutions and they seem to miss this thread with the correct solution. Perhaps I need to "accept a solution" even though I posted the solution in the OP. Okay, here it is again and officially:

*********************************************************************************************************************

After about 2 hours of trying to get the necessary updates on this new 14G server out of the box, I finally pieced all the incorrect information together and found the working solution. I hope to save someone else the pain and time I experienced by sharing the working solution.

Here is what you need to know:

1. When you set the network settings for the Lifecycle Controller, I could not get the IPV6 to work with Static or DHCP. It will error. Here is what I figured out - just set the IPV4 and leave the IPV6 however you want. Once you hit NEXT, it will check the configuration and give you an error for IPV6 -BUT- it also has already saved the IPV4 settings so now just hit CANCEL. You now have a working IPV4 connection.

2. When you proceed to the Firmware Updates, the Lifecycle Controller will pre-fill the address with downloads.dell.com which you will think would be right, it's not and it won't work. Fill in the old familiar "ftp.dell.com" and forget about all the other fields. That's all you need.

9 Posts

June 19th, 2018 04:00

Thank you. Was driving me crazy that the setup was stuck and there was no option to disable IPv6 to continue

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 12:00

Thank you! I figured out #1 by myself after half an hour, but need you for #2. Incredibly stupid default setting. And why is there no "off" on the IPv6

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 02:00

Life saver dude ! thanks

17 Posts

October 11th, 2018 04:00

Big time life saver. Thanks, both your steps helped me out and saved me from wasting more than then 30 minutes I already spent on this on a brand new R640 server.

Dell should really add an option to disable IPv6 and have the correct ftp.dell.com address populated...

February 4th, 2019 11:00

Thank you!

4 Posts

February 12th, 2022 10:00

Hey, after struggling like crazy to get the lifecycle to work, I've finally got it to work!

When arriving in the LifeCycle Controller, go directly to setup, select your NIC and input static IP and MAKE SURE the DNS isn't their weird default one. Use 1.1.1.1

Then update using HTTPS using downloads.dell.com

Cheerios!

No Events found!