Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2014 20:00

Update idrac6 from v1.20.01 to latest firmware

I cannot for the life of me get this idrac6 updated.

The posts I've read so far say to:

1) iDRAC updates via iDRAC web GUI

2) iDRAC updates via command line using RACADM

1) This option is to get the .IMG file update package, extract the file then perform an update either through the DRAC web GUI (assuming your iDRAC is connected to the network and addressable). To do that you type in the IP address of your DRAC card in any web browser, log in with the username / password (if you haven’t changed anything u:root p:calvin) then click on the iDRAC Settings > Update tab. Point the GUI towards the firmware image, and you should be good to go.

2) Using a tool called RACADM (Remote Access Controller Administrator) you can update the firmware via a command line. The comand to update firmware is racadm fwupdate -p -u -d

1, my GUI doesn't have a update tab, it must be a version 1.2 thing.

2, I've installed racadm and run the following command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racadm.exe -r 10.1.40.14 -u root -p calvin fwupdate -p -u -d C:\delldracz
where 10.1.10.14 is the IP of the drac port, and C:\delldracz is the folder where the firmimg.d6 image is stored

This starts off ok, says it uploading the firmware, then after about 5-10 minutes i get the error "ERROR: Unable to transfer image file to the RAC."

If i try to run racreset or racreset hard, I get: "ERROR: A firmware update is currently in progress. Unable to reset the RAC at this time."

Powering off the machine and pulling the powercord for 30 seconds fixes this issue, have tried to update to v1.5 first, still same error.

Its a T610, with ESXI 5.0 installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

_bk201.

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

February 28th, 2014 09:00

If  you are not updating FW or have failed in updating FW and get "ERROR: A firmware update is currently in progress" go directly to a flea power drain. For super old FW like you have, I wouldn't be surprised to see 15-20% failure rates if you have a bunch to update.

idrac6 pre 1.90 is dodgy in operation and super dodgy in FW updates. 1.90 and after is acceptably stable. Make sure  you also update the Lifecycle Controller when updating the idrac. They should be kept in lockstep with each other.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 20:00

Thanks for the reply, its only a single host.

After 7 failed tries in a row, I gave up.

You also said to update the Lifecycle Controller, I cant even get into USC to update anything, I see the Loading USC, then it just reboots itself. I'm throwing in the towel on this one, thanks for trying though.

_bk201

1 Rookie

• 

183 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

If the online DUP is not working you can update the LCC with the repair package directly through the idrac web gui in the same way you would update the idrac FW. I don't ever go into the LCC to update anything. Linux online DUPs in ram disk or full OS  seem to work better.

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

What I do with very stubborn and/or ancient firmware-wise servers: boot the Dell OpenManage Deployment Toolkit; it's  a mini-linux distro that will run entirely from RAM without disturbing your existing OS installs. Can be booted from iso, virtual iso media or PXE.

Access the Linux DUP *.BIN from an NFS share / USB drive / virtual media disk image.

Updated a very beastly Windows 2008 Server on an R510, this way.

No Events found!