Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2008 13:00

Updating a repository

Short question: Is it possible to update a SUU repository or a Custom Repository with this utility?

Long Explanation: I have an OM Subscription to get the Server Updates DVD quarterly, but we all know that updates come out in between. I like to keep this repository on a NAS device for our Dell Linux and Windows servers to use when needed. Ideally, I would like to have the Content Manager utility update a repository so I can run it weekly/monthly and get all the latest and greatest.

As far as I can tell, it is only possible to download an entirely new repository, but cannot update that repository once it has been downloaded. Is this correct?

342 Posts

August 18th, 2008 15:00

Content Manager will only create NOT update a respository. However, you can use the "Check for Server Update Utility Updates" .. to run a comparison report that will tell you how far the repository has drifted, and if there is a need to create a new one.

It's not very intuitive.

I created a custom repository called c:\dellupdates\test\ ... and picked one server. It then created a "CustomRepository" subdirectory with all the files.

Now when I want to run the comparison report, I run Content Manager again, pick the third option "Check for Server Update Utility Updates" .... use "Dell Online Website" for the source, and for the Select Update Destination option I used "c:\dellupdates\test\CustomRepository". Then when you push the next button it will output a report comparing the differences to your local repository.

But it won't merge the updates. Here's a screenshot I took from a respository that I haven't updated in quite some time -- http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Content+Manager+Comparison+Report

If you need to keep updates synced and want to automate that process, you'll need to use ITA.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2008 16:00

Unfortunately, I need to use SUU due to firewall restrictions and ITA limitations (don't even get me started). Any way I could point SUU at a ITA repository?

(I can move this to a different thread if necessary.)

342 Posts

August 25th, 2008 08:00

Sorry for the delay ... I missed this follow up question.

So you want to point ContentManager at the ITA repository to download the content, instead of pointing at the dell ftp site ?

Is that the question ? or something different ?

The ITA repository is here -- C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\ITAssistant\repository\ITA

Content Manager builds a local repository that has a similar structure, but it also builds the catalog.xml file when you download the content. That's how it knows what to display when suulauncher.exe is executed.

How about using a machine that can download the content, and then mapping a drive from the other machines to it, and running suu over a mapped drive ?

3 Posts

October 9th, 2008 13:00

I am worried about Content manager because it has a tendency to bomb out if one of the files are corrupted, and I can't resume the download...

Also, it can't be scheduled to run, requiring someone (also known as me) to run it manually.

ITA is doing it's job, but the lack of that catalog.xml file makes it useless for suu (darn).

Oh well. Perhaps Dell has something else in the works for the future. Oh wait... they do. :-)

342 Posts

October 10th, 2008 13:00

Yes, they (we) do :-) .... are you on the beta website ? http://dmcbeta.wetpaint.com
No Events found!