Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2016 20:00

iDRAC 8 virtual console fails to connect

I am unable to connect to the virtual console. I constantly get the error "The viewer has terminated. Reason: The network connection has been dropped". Java build 1.70_11-b21 is installed. I can't try different Java versions without risking issues with access to IT applications.

iDRAC 8 version 2.20.20.20 with BIOS version 1.3.6 on a Dell R630.

1) I get this using different browsers on Windows 7.

2) I've tried clearing Java temp Internet files.

3) The iDRAC Ethernet port is set to 1000/FD along with the switch to which it is connected.

What's next? Update BIOS to 1.5.4 (is 1.3.6 very old?), Dell iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller to v.2.21.21.21 or both?

August 10th, 2016 12:00

im having the same issue with iDRAC 8

August 11th, 2016 07:00

in some cases, i have seen this when there are 2 DNS records for the same IP however this time that is not the case for me.

March 19th, 2018 06:00

Stopped work occasionally for me to. The same text "The viewer has terminated. Reason: The network connection has been dropped". Have two identical R730's connected to DELL X1050 switch via iDRAC dedicated LAN. One server is working, another is don't. Similar latest firmware, similar iDRAC network configuration, similar port configuration on X1050 switch. Any help is welcome....

March 19th, 2018 07:00

On Firmware version 2.40.40.40 together with bios v. 2.4.3 preinstalled with server CAN lounch virtual console.
After updating firmware to 2.50.50.50 virtual console fails to connect. Any thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 20:00

Can you provide below details

• Which Operating System and Browser used to launch virtual Console
  • Can you try launching virtual console with HTML5 plugin and see whether it is working
  • Can you share the exact error message seen
  • Sometime you will see timeout message if you delay clicking through popup messages coming while launching virtual console with JAVA

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 22:00

Windows 10 pro 1709

I have the same Issue, tried Firefox, Edge

Tried HTML5, get error about expired cert

Tried Internet Explorer, ActiveX Says the certificate is not valid, but lets me continue, so it seems like broken cert...

2 Posts

September 17th, 2020 04:00

I have tried all of the recommendations in this feed and none has worked for me. To resolve this issue:

1. Create a rule in your firewall to allow port 5900 access to the IP Address of your iDRAC.

2. In the web browser you are using to view your iDRAC, disable pop-up blockers.

3. Log into your iDRAC.

4. In the Virtual Console Preview area, click Settings.

5. Change the plugin type from Native to HTML5. Click Apply to save changes. Note: instead of viewing the console using Java, it will use your web browser.

6. Go back to the main page then click Launch in the Virtual Console Preview area. Watch the magic!

Note: this has worked for me from all versions of Windows.

1 Message

August 24th, 2021 15:00

POSSIBLE FIX for iDRAC issue:

I had a exactly same issues for years or so, it really didn't matter what I did, login to iDRAC was extremely slow it took sometims good 5min to get in to iDRAC web interface, I could launch a Virtual console received a (connection failed...) error on my PowerEdge R630 . 

I tested try every trick that I could find from internet, earlier last year I was able to login by downgrading Java however recently event that did not work. Yesterday I start thinking it again, and I thought to test if disabling NTP service would help, and VOILA it did fix the issue in my case. (least for now)

Environment:
I have PowerEdge R630 I have Enterprise 8 version iDRAC, at the time I'm writing this it seems to work with the latest Chrome, Firefox and Edge browsers.

What I did:
To test if this helps you, please login to your "Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller" and go to "iDRAC Settings->Settings" you should see "Time Zone and NTP" untick "Enable Network Time Protocol (NTP)" and hit "Apply" hope for the best.

Cheers

Jouko

Note: I could not replicate this on my PowerEdge R710 because I could not locate NTP service on iDRAC 6.

No Events found!