Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2017 16:00

iDRAC6 communication failure Problem

Hello, 

I am getting this error while system booting: "idrac6 communication failure" 

I've found these steps regarding to resolution of the problem: 

I am afraiding perform step 4 because i am afriad it affect raid settings and that end up with data loss. So my question is would step 4 affect raid settings or not ? 

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 31st, 2017 17:00

Hello

would step 4 affect raid settings or not ?

No, resetting the iDRAC to defaults will have no impact on any virtual disks. In most cases you will not be able to perform step 4 if you are experiencing an iDRAC communication failure on an iDRAC6. The system usually will not complete POST.

If this issue started after the system was moved then steps 6 and 7 will typically resolve the issue. Components can become loose during shipping or moving. Reseating components may be needed after it has been physically moved. The iDRAC express module is a small rectangular black plastic box attached directly to the system board. Whenever reseating any hardware that is not hot pluggable you should disconnect power. You should also follow proper electro-static discharge procedures.

One step missing from that list is to disconnect unnecessary hardware or take the system to minimum-to-POST. A faulty or unsupported device connected to the system can cause hardware to not properly initialize. Something as simple as a USB device connected to the system could cause this issue.

Thanks

6 Posts

March 31st, 2017 18:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your prompt response. Actually this issue occured right after resetting network settings. I am living with this issue and trying to solve it since 2 months. I can say there is nothing left that i didnt tried. 

Finally i thought maybe my idrac card corrupteed and i've replaced both of them (enterprise & express) with new ones but problem still persist. 

When i remove cards from machine i am not getting any error, and i've plugged & unplugged & reaseated them many times but still no luck. 

The only thing that i didnt tried is that step you metioned that is missing. Also i am facing with this problem: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19502976

Could this memory problem cause this idrac problem? Because there is no any extra device or hardware connected to the server. 

• 

6.2K Posts

April 1st, 2017 12:00

Could this memory problem cause this idrac problem?

Having an invalid memory configuration should not cause an iDRAC communication error, but it could. I would suggest resolving the memory issue and any other issues you are encountering. If you are having processor, memory, system board, or issues with any other components in the system it could cause errors with other hardware components.

If you have replaced the express module then the issue is likely with the system board or some other faulty/incompatible hardware in the system.

Thanks

6 Posts

April 1st, 2017 13:00

Excuse me please but i am not very good with these hardware things very much. Could you tell me with what confugration i can solve this problem? Which ram to which slot? Or i cant solve this problem with my current rams? Shall i remove some of them or replace with compatible ones ? What i have to do exactly ?

6 Posts

I've tried to solve memory problem with many different combinations but my that attempt havent succeed.

Here is my system details: 

Dell R410

2xIntel Quad Xeon e5620 12MB HT Cpu (2.4Ghz * 4)
4x8GB UDimm Memory
3x 450 GB Dell 15K SAS HDD in Raid5 form
1x 1TB Sata HDD in raid 0 form
Dell H700 Hardware RAID 0-1-5-10

Memory Slots and Ram Distributions Details

Slot A4: Samsung 4GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600R
Slot A1: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3L - 10600R
Slot A2: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600R
Slot A3: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600R 

Slot B4: Samsung 4GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600R
Slot B1: Samsung 4GB 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600R
Slot B2: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600R 
Slot B3: Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600R 

Do you have any idea regarding to the resolution of the memory problem? 

By the way i've applied the step 4 and the missing step that you mentioned but problem still persist.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

• 

6.2K Posts

What i have to do exactly ?

If these are the exact same memory modules then put them in slots 1,2 on the A and B lanes:

Samsung 4GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600R

You will have ONLY those DIMMs populated in A1, A2 and B1, B2. The other slots will be empty. That is the only valid configuration you can have with those modules.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

Do you have any idea regarding to the resolution of the memory problem? 

Yes, the A lane and B lane must have identical configurations. You can't mix memory like you have done.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2019 15:00

My iDrac 6 stopped working after it failed an update and I chose to reset it (using its own webpage).

After the reset it stopped responding. I went to the server and found the LCD blank (backlight on). The nic on the iDrac was flickering. 

After reboot the front LCD display is dead - no backlight. The nic lights are also dark on the iDrac. None of the fixes work for me.

The server eventually boots. I disabled the prompting for F1/F2 in case of errors, so the second boot lets the OS load (ESX).

I keep seeing the advice to use the USC.... but how? The iDrac interface is not loading, since the iDrac seems dead. So... how would one upload this software into it? Also what do you make of the dead LCD screen?

1 Message

May 1st, 2019 16:00

Hi, I too have an issue with iDrac6 (or Motherboard...) - Mine seemed to be cause by a power outage (with no UPS attached...).

Symptoms: POST memory check takes ages, Fan a full power constantly, IDrac communication failure and can boot OS after a second reboot sequence.

System: T410 Xeon + 32GB RAM - Current BIOS firmware 1.14 (latest) I cannot tell if I have a express or enterprise drac setup and I cannot find/see what version of drac I have.

After performing:

1. Remove flea power
  2. Remove MOBO battery
  3. Using Dell Live CD
  4. Download and run Monolithic drac FW update - errors ('Your system setup is not compatible...' or something like that) + rerun 1.14 bios exe
  5. Boot with and without drac card module
  6. Replaced drac card module with newly purchased
  7. 7. Running command line racadm

All of these options have resulted in the same result, i.e no result. racadm cannot connect to drac (cannot attached screenshots but details below) and the fact that I've replaced the card/module would indicate the error is outside the drac card and on the MOBO somewhere.

#racadm getsysinfo
RAC Date/Time = UNKOWN
Firmware version = UNKONWN

... Repeated for all entries.

#ipmitool.exe mc selftest localhost
No Hostname specified
No response from devices

I've read somewhere that the drac is actually on the motherboard and the card is just the interface...?

SO: Am I correct in throwing the motherboard away or are there any other options I can try to revive the server. I don't even need the drac really... If I can get it booting first time without fans at full speed it would be enough. Any further pointers or confirmation to throw it out would be great.

1 Message

November 5th, 2019 08:00

Same cause, same issue, same results

PowerEdge R310

Users are complaining about the noise from the fans. I'll prob just retire this server.

November 7th, 2022 22:00

Idrac6 resolved method are given below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sssITRvSnI

No Events found!