Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DA

October 14th, 2010 05:00

iDRAC6 error

Could someone please help me to disable iDRAC6 module, because at restarts it frequently displays an error, as if system is rebooting (but it doesn't) and only cold reset helps - unplugging the power.

12 Posts

September 28th, 2011 09:00

"Hello!

Brian_Doty, downgrade of BIOS did not work, tried it first thing. I'll try to downgrade to the version prior 1.4.x, may be to the original one server came with (1.0.? I think).

SeanAtDell, The steps in your message 21 did not work either, however I'll try to upgrade NICs firmware, then follow your steps.

Lifecycle controller installed version 1.5, BIOS 1.6.3, BNC 1.7.0.

With installed express card update packages for lyfecycle controller or BMC fail with the message "This update package is not compatible with your current system configuration" (do not remember word to word). And as I said before - update DVD hangs too with installed express card. Without it boots okay. And I also cannot apply repairtool because web interface is not working and the server is out of warranty.

When I have extra few hours to spend I'll try to update NIC firmware and see what happens. If it did not work, I'll be downgrading all firmwares to the original versions.
"
igorkl: Sorry for my late reply. I was out-of-office for a while. I'm sorry that you had to go to ebay to fix your problem. The goal of these management features it to make your life easier, not harder. Please don't hesitate to call Dell Support in the future. They would have likely sent you the iDRAC6 Express (Lifecycle Controller) for free.

4 Posts

September 28th, 2011 14:00

SeanAtDell, This is exactly what I did when it got screwed. Tried to update from a downloaded file. Today I took a chance to update from repository DVD - worked okay.

Brian_Doty, server is out of its warranty, when I contacted - the only support I got is chat or phone, no parts replacement.

BTW I got new R510, I put old screwed drac express in it - same picture.

Same lesson learned one more time - no more firmware/bios updates unless it is critical.

6 Posts

September 30th, 2011 08:00

"Same lesson learned one more time - no more firmware/bios updates unless it is critical."
Sad to see this happen, but in my experience the number of machines firmware fixes vs the number it breaks is greater than 1000 to 1.

The only few times I've ever seen a firmware update brick a system this badly was when the originating piece of hardware was already fouled up for unrelated reasons.

Glad to see you are up and operational again.

1 Message

July 20th, 2012 12:00

Just had an "iDRAC6 Communication Failure" at a customer. New to me, May have hypothetically happened after an electrical storm. Any ideas as to where to start? I saw the login, I have to go look at it after close of business today, I know these things dont move that fast, but its worth a try right?

February 14th, 2013 08:00

The fix can be found here step by step - Dell Server iDRAC fix

March 18th, 2013 10:00

@N2 Network Solutions - What if you get 'unsupported configuration'?  I use cdu_2.2_core_702.iso which lists "Enterprise Servers R710" as "compatible system".  I'm now downloading cdu_1.6_core_173_A01.iso to see if that makes a difference.

April 16th, 2013 10:00

I continued to get unsupported configuration.  I found a new iDRAC 6 Express card on e-Bay for $40 from China, and it solved my issues when I installed it.  Possibly it's because it's already had it's firmware updated, at this point, I don't care.  If you want my faulty iDRAC 6 Express Card, you can have it.

July 13th, 2013 03:00

@Sean / Brian - We have a Dell R710 that is unable to detect DRAC6 at start up and reboots.  There was no DRAC6 board in the system so I bought one and installed it but the message remains the same.

I also have "System Services Disabled" message in the bios top right corner.

There is no Ctrl-E capability on posting, nor do the steps above change any behaviour when it boots back up (i.e. there is no way I know to get into the DRAC6 interface).  The DRAC6 cat5 socket does have flashing green activity LED and solid orange LED.  Have managed to upgrade server BIOS from 1.0.4 to 6.3.0.  

I also tried to install a Lifecycle Controller update like someone else posted, and that also failed because it "couldn't read the inventory from the LCL".

Don't have any OS installed on this box from which to run tools, but do have the Dell Repository Manager installed on my desktop if that helps.

July 13th, 2013 09:00

I've read that you may want to downgrade your BIOS to get the firmware update to flash. I was lucky and the integrated iDRAC I purchased already had the new firmware.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2013 04:00

I am having a Dell R710 with "System Services Disabled" message in the bios top right corner.

I tried several methods (followed the posts) but with no success.

BIOS  V.6.3.0

iDRAC6 Cong. Util. v.1.6

No OS installed

No Warranty!

Any help!

October 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the Post.

If Server getting the message "System services Disabled", either Lifecycle controller(LC) disabled from the BIOS or  LC not present in the server. To check the LC status of the server enter into iDRAC page by pressing "Ctrl+E" during the POST. In the iDRAC page enable the Lifecycle controller(LC). If still issue not resolved install the latest LC from the DELL support site from the below link.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r710?driverId=GFFFC&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3200375903&languageCode=en&categoryId=SV

Thanks,

Venkatesan K

2 Posts

October 15th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Venkatesan,

The "Ctrl+E" doesn't showup at all !  Will try the latest LC as mentionned in your link.

MusDjab.

7 Posts

May 24th, 2014 17:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/p/19444459/20086132.aspx

August 31st, 2015 07:00

hi friends i hav an solution to solve the idrac6 communication failure its 100% works i hav made an r&d and i got sucess

1 Message

October 17th, 2016 22:00

And that is?

No Events found!