Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 06:00

iDRAC9 v6.00.02.00 -- eHTML5 only, please bring back HTML5

I have been using a small cli script assembled from the .jar files listed in the .jnlp file you get when you start the java console. It's pretty basic, I have one for idrac6 and one for idrac7/8/9.

@echo off
pushd %~dp0%
set PATH=jre8-Windows\bin;%PATH%

java ^
-cp avctKVM.jar ^
com.avocent.idrac.kvm.Main ^
vm=1 ^
reconnect=2 ^
user=root ^
passwd=calvin ^
apcp=1 ^
chat=1 ^
F1=1 ^
custom=0 ^
vport=5900 ^
kmport=5900 ^
version=2 ^
videoborder=0 ^
ip=%1

popd

I can simply type idrac.cmd to bring up the console, without opening a browser and without dealing with pesky legacy java plugin issues. It's been working very well for a long time and I have shared it with my team.

On iDRAC 9 we've had to disable KVM encryption for this to work (I guess that's where the 'e' in eHTML5 comes from?). But now in v6.00.02.00 they took that option away, from https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-t350/idrac9_6.xx_ug/configuring-and-using-virtual-console?guid=guid-1607d2bc-0ed1-4487-84e1-272357a474ae&lang=en-us :

• Starting with release version 6.00.02.00, access to vConsole uses only eHTML5. Java, ActiveX, and HTML5 are no longer supported.

I assume it is the actual launching of java/activex plugins from the browser which is (understandably) no longer supported, which I don't need or want since I use a direct java launcher instead. I only need the protocol support. Hopefully the encryption selection can be brought back so we can continue using this KVM cli tool.

Br, Ådne

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

From iDRAC version 6.00.02.00 onwards iDRAC only support virtual console using eHTML5. Java, ActiveX, and HTML5 are no longer supported. You can refer below link with details

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v6.x-series/idrac9_6.xx_ug/using-virtual-console?guid=guid-b2c8b41d-080d-4b00-9bf2-286ff8694889&lang=en-us 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 06:00

Hang on, maybe I can disable the video encryption through racadm or ssh, let me check that. 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 07:00

I could disable the encryption through racadm, but sadly it seems as if the actual protocol listener is not there anymore.

KVM/VM Client Version: 5.04.04 (Build 488)
replace numpad
** Max Size: W = 2560 H = 1392
** Window Pref Size: W = 1040 H = 823
** Max Size: W = 2560 H = 1392
** Window Pref Size: W = 1040 H = 823
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method)
at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(DualStackPlainSocketImpl.java:79)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:172)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:606)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:555)
at java.net.Socket. (Socket.java:451)
at java.net.Socket. (Socket.java:228)
at com.avocent.d.a.a.a(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.d.a.a.a(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.d.a.a.c(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.d.d.b.a(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.a.b.w.g(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.a.b.w.a(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.app.c.l.m(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.app.c.l.e(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.idrac.kvm.a.e(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.idrac.kvm.Main.a(Unknown Source)
at com.avocent.idrac.kvm.Main.main(Unknown Source)
CoreSessionListener : connection failed
in CoreSessionListner : fireOnSessionStateChanged
KVM session state SESSION_FAILED

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 10:00

It's even mentioned as deprecated at https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v5.x-series/idrac9_pub_rn_5.10.50/deprecated-features?guid=guid-a906b659-2d74-440e-953e-f064d8029ec9&lang=en-us so I cannot say I was not warned.

I even downloaded latest v5 and v6 firmware images and extracted the squashfs root fs just to see if the kvm listener was simply switched off, but afaict the avctKVM* and relevant VKVM_PM service files were completely removed from the new image. So browser only for the future it is I guess -- I kind of preferred the direct connect (not applet) java client over browser access.

Thanks again.

No Events found!